A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Multitudinous

If I may jump in here....

I can kind of see where frstrd is coming from. I work in a setting where the focus for students has always been on working in groups and presenting what they have learned via whatever means they can (pictures, poems, songs, etc.). The end result is that they often can't read or write well. They certainly can't spell reliably.

I don't necessarily agree with a sweeping policy of marking every error wrong on every assignment. At the same time, it's got to start somewhere. I often get 10th graders turning in Venn diagrams when they are instructed to submit a 5-paragraph paper "comparing and contrasting" anything. They really struggle to make the leap from working product (draft, graphic organizer) to finished product. They don't seem to see a difference.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Connoisseur

Ohio
Middle/High School English
Caesar,

I think that stems from a lot of different problems, not just allowing them to misspell words without penalty. In my handwritten assignments, I usually take off very few points for spelling errors unless the errors are large and frequent. However, I'd like my kids to demonstrate their use of vocabulary, even if they forget to add an "e" at the end of the word. I always make sure to correct the word though. In typed work, they are expected to proofread and have everything spelled correctly. They can lose up to two letter grades for misuse of English conventions.

I have little issue with the quality of work that I receive. With the few students I do have problems with, it's indicative of a larger problem. Though I can guarantee you that none of my kids would turn in a Venn diagram when I asked for a paper. They know it would earn them a zero.

There was a teacher at my old school who would take off half a point for each word misspelled. The kids could write that word three times and turn it in to receive the credit back. It's not a bad option.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Groupie

California
Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstrtdteacher View Post
And parents wonder why their sons/daughters can't read, write or comprehend in the 12th grade?

Have you been in one of those remedial high school classrooms where we get all of those students you didn't even bother to correct?
Yes, I've been in them. My kids in those classes could think even if they couldn't spell.

And, you completely dodged my response any way. You said quite clearly that the reason to lower the students grade was so it would be easier for their teachers later. Nowhere did you say how it would be a benefit for the student.

Tags
grading, middle school, question, quizzes, social studies, spelling