A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I think this is a situation I will never figure out.
I agree, and also agree with others to move on - at this point, you've obviously done all you can. I do understand how frustrating that is. I had an administrator a few years back who I couldn't get to write one for the longest time, and there was no one else I could ask to do it since I lived abroad and the rest of the teachers and staff didn't speak English well enough to write one. My admin's English was perfect, but I still eventually had to actually write the letter myself and have my him read and sign it.

Interviewers may ask why you have a teacher rather than a supervisor listed from your most recent experience, so be prepared with an explanation. Otherwise, this may not make you feel any better but it really doesn't always end if you don't have an admin letter of recommendation - as others have said, that's usually the very last step in the interview process.

Since you have other great recommendations, my suggestion is to write to all older references and tell them you are in the job search process (if you haven't already done so) and ask for an updated letter and the best number to reach them should someone want to call.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Could it be that she's trying to prevent you from leaving?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Comrade

Sydney, Australia
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpa1b2 View Post
That was my thought, but it's very unprofessional of her to do that. In my experience, the most important part of the process is your cover letter. Make it stand out, supported by a great CV. Hey, with your experience in those schools, you should walk in to a job because most Ps would assume you have great classroom management!
Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Quote:
that thought entered my head, but then I thought, 'no, that cannot be it!".

But her last comment really sounded like that. I told her I needed the letter for a subbing position at a charter school (it's a really bad school (behaviorally, academically) in a bad neighborhood turned into a great charter school.
I told her I wanted to keep my options open, at our schools all they talk about is cutting jobs, and this school pays $145 / day (it's pretty good). She said 'well, you're gonna work very hard for that $145' - she didn't sound like she implied that I'm not working here, it sounded like she said the $ sounds great but I will regret it.

I thought it was odd, it's not for her to decide.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Companion

NJ
High School English Teacher
Quote:
I thought this while reading the thread. In some districts, it's very hard to find great substitutes and teachers/administrators will do whatever they can to keep them. However, it's unprofessional to hold a qualified applicant "hostage" like that. My aunt knows a woman who subbed for the same district for 5 years and covered many maternity leaves because all the teachers love her; there was an opening in her subject area this year, and they didn't even grant her an interview, which makes me think they wanted to "keep" her as a substitute.

Tags
give, letter, rec