A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Newcomer

pa
Long term sub?

I am taking over from a long term sub that did not do an effective job. I previously taught kdg and 3rd grade, never first. I am excited but would love any input that anyone can give me!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
Are y'all about to go on holiday break? If so, beginning on the very first day back, I would begin teaching and reteaching rules and procedures. Your new principal shouldn't object to several days to a week to do this - it will mean a MUCH smoother running classroom down the line. You'll pretty much have to be a mini drill sergeant, lol, but I think you'll find it very beneficial in the long run.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
Sorry - then I would find out where they are academically. You may have "a long row to hoe," so to speak. If the sub was really ineffective, they may not have the background for skills that your pacing guide assumes they have already mastered. I would find the time for a heart-to-heart with your new principal to ensure that s/he is agreeable to this, but it would seem to be in the best interests of the kiddos.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Rookie

1st Grade Teacher
Great advice! I am also going to be taking over for a long-term sub in First grade starting right after Winter Break!

H.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Newcomer

I am in a similar situation, only it is at the Pre-K level. Regular teacher left before I was hired, and the children had a sub for a few weeks. One little boy (one of the brightest in the class) is having insecurity problems due to the leaving of the teachers. He wants to bond with me, but I see him holding back. I talk about the future with him, and how I couldn't wait to go outside with them in the summer. I told him I was here to stay and would be here for the rest of the year with him. I told him that I would still be here next year when he started Kindergarten and would love for him to visit me. His twin sister is also in my class and is doing just fine. He is having trouble bonding with me, he misses his old teacher, and he has started carrying a picture of his parents to the babysitters. He is insecure about them not coming back. This is breaking his mother's heart. If anyone has any ideas, I would REALLY appreciate hearing them. He was not having this problem with the sub. I think the problem is that he likes me and wants to trust that I am here to stay, but is afraid to. ): Who wouldn't? This is their first experience with school, and have no idea it isn't supposed to be this way.

Tags
long, term