A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Newcomer

Texas
I am also having trouble with lesson plan/ pedagogy part! I've gotten 31/40 every time I've taken it (3x).. any advice?

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Texas
There's hope!

I took the LOTE this past March for the first time and passed with flying colors. The A/C was broken when I took it so it was so hot in there. I talked to their administration and they apologized and offered to refund my money but score report would have been voided. Since I had a couple of offers with different school districts I proceeded to have my score reported instead. I will have to say that I thought I was going to fail miserably but I didn't. I did not study for the test and the flashcards I looked over before going in had nothing to do with what was on the actual test.

My best advice for those struggling or taking the the test soon is to be familiar with all the instructions. They can be very confusing. The cultural section is common knowledge if you have taken any Spanish culture/art/latinamerican studies classes. On the lesson plan I made a 5 out of 6. I was very brief but focused on the main themes of review/content/assessment. Don't waste time overthinking. They need to make sure you will be a good teacher not a perfect one.

Prepare for the pedagogy section. Make sure you go over the ACTFUL guidelines thoroughly and are ready to teach at various grade levels. They are very specific when it comes to this so please go over it. If you are a native speaker like me, you'll find the listening part to be a breeze as the recordings are very clear. The writing section is not bad at all. Make sure you support your opinions just like in English class. Oh, don't forget your accents. I thought I did horribly on the speaking section since I was so nervous but I ended up doing great. I think that more than the subject, they are looking to see if you can communicate clearly.

I took the TOPT a few years ago and I have to say that the LOTE is nothing like it. Be ready and stay calm and you will be just fine. I hate the wait time though. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Newcomer

TX
High School Teacher
Hi,
you might want to take a look at this book "Desarrollo del espanol para maestros en programas de educacion bilingue." by lidia Morris and Luis A. Rosado. This is BTLPT. Is part of the tests for the Bilingual Certification. LOTE 613 looks very similar to this test. It includes writing an email, lesson plan. Discussing your points of view etc. I am planinning to take LOTE 613 and I am looking at the preparation material and it looks very similar.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:44 AM
Newcomer

I took the LOTE in 2012 and passed it. For the pedagogy, you really need to study second language acquisition theories and models. If you are struggling with reading or listening comprehension, speaking, or writing, I recommend the Barron's AP guide. I can give you tips for the pedagogy part if you contact me.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Newcomer

USA
1st Grade Teacher
Dear TXTeacher2day,
I took this test three times if I can't passed. May you please let me know your tips for the pedagogy part, trust me is very difficult for my. Let me asking you, what web sites or what kind of material you used for the 5 C' s. I read a lot but I don't have nothing specific .

Thank you so much you help is greatly appreciated

Mexico13
Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Newcomer

Texas
I took the exam a week ago yesterday. I still haven't received my scores. I studied the ACTFL teaching guidelines, which you'll need to know, and know some of the major artists that impacted Hispanic countries, and significant historical events in Hispanic countries. I hope that helps!! Oh, and try to never leave any questions unanswered!!

Tags
613, lote, spanish, texes