A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
No, absolutely not. I'm here because I'm passionate about education and like discussing it. I would never use quotes without someone's permission. I came across an article on teacher burnout that was so harsh and condemning that I wanted to find out from actual teachers if they felt the same way. I know it all sounds like a sales pitch (and I'm sorry for that) but I genuinely feel this is a book that should be written and I want to write it!
That's good.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Habitué

Burned out--no!
Overwhelmed--yes!

I think there is a difference. I still love teaching. I still love being a teacher. It's everything else that overwhelms me.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Habitué

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecteach View Post
Burned out--no!
Overwhelmed--yes!

I think there is a difference. I still love teaching. I still love being a teacher. It's everything else that overwhelms me.
AGREE!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
This is what I noted originally...others may not always use the term "burnout", but I think the feelings are the same. They're "over it", it's no longer worth it, it's too stressful thinking of when the family farm will finally have to fold like the one down the road, and so forth. How do you define it?
I don't know. Frankly, I hate the term and it reminds me of many other pseudo-scientific terms and phrases people create in our culture which are then passed off as legitimate phenomena.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Yup. Burnt out. I would like for the game rules to stay consistent... Not change every year or even every few months, as seems to be the new norm. I'm tired of being threatened with salary reduction. I'm tired of reinventing the curriculum wheel every time someone at the DO or DOE sneezes. I would like to teach without being bullied about Marzano. I would love to stop losing class time for every test that they have to take that isn't even valid. I need more than 90 minutes every other day with my kids.

I don't feel like I'm teaching this year so much as leaping through a land mine field.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
It's funny. I've turned Marzano into a game. For example, if I can find a way to point out similarities and differences, I go complete bat-poo insane over how wonderful it is. It may only be funny to me, but those kids are getting their similarities and differences!

Tags
burned