A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
I gotta admit, this thread kind of made my heart hurt a little.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
No mode? Two modes? How would I illustrate that on a chart? See this is what happens when English teachers try to teach math. My professor said to take the average of them. Or maybe she said that about the median.
The average of the two middle numbers in an even amount of data points is the median. The mode is the data point seen most often...its entirely possible to have no mode.

I have my third graders look at weather data (temperatures in our state) every morning. They find the range, median and mode.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I teach this and some might call me sick, but I have always enjoyed mean, median, and mode.

Mode is the most frequent number. (Remember that mode and most have the same 2 letters at the beginning and you'll remember it.) This might be used if you are a shoe sales clerk. Which pair of shoes sold the most? If there is a tie than all the numbers that tie for first are the mode. Example: in your situation 7,9, and 11 are the most frequent as they all happen 4 times. So the mode would be (7,9,11). If you think of shoes this makes sense. Wouldn't you want to know which pairs sells the most? Not having a mode is incredibly rare. This is when ALL numbers happen the same number of times like your 2nd sample.

The median is the middle number when you put the numbers from low to high. Only problem is when you have an even number of numbers to organize, there is no exact middle number. Therefore you take the 2 middle numbers and average them.

The mean and average are the same thing.

Any more questions, just ask. :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Florida
Did someone mention shortbread? Mmmmm

Yeah, I like this stuff, too. It's easy. My 5th graders were expected to have it down.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
In your first example, the modes would be 7, 11, and 12 because they each appear 4 times.

In your second example, there would be no mode because each number appears only once.

The mode never involves averaging numbers. If there is an even amount of numbers, then you would need to average the two middle numbers (when put in sequential order) to get the median.

Think:
MOde-MOst
MeDian-miDDle
Mean-meanest one because you need to add and divide.

Tags
math, mean or median or mode, question