A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Rookie

AZ
HS Chemistry and Biology
I do a few of the things listed here:

class, yes

count down from 3 to 1

simply say "I need your attention please" or "all eyeballs on me please".

The only suggestion I have is to NOT flicker the lights, if a student has sensory issues or is epileptic, flickering the lights can be a trigger and very stressful.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Rookie

I like the counting down idea. I will definitely try that one!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
High School English Teacher
Usually yelling, "Hey!..........Folks!" works for me.

There's another teacher in our building who uses a different "F" word, surrounded by "Shut," "the," and "up." I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen if for myself, but he gets away with it. I guess because he's been around so long, handles graduation practice each June with over 200 kids and yells that into a bullhorn to get them started, they're used to it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Novice

High School Science
I read one technique that works if your adminstration lets you is threaten to keep the class for a minute or more after the bell rings if you have to count to 10, three times in a row.

You stand up in front of the class and say "when I hold up my finger i want everyone quiet and looking at me. If I have to raise three fingers then the class will stay after the bell rings to give me the lost instructional time that I had to wait for you to be quiet."

it doesn't work will all classes because some of my students would rather stay in my class than leave, but we have strict tardy policies so it normally is effective.

The students who are paying attention will get their peers to be quiet because they don't want to be kept after the bell rings.

I normally only have to keep them once for them to quiet down when I raise my hand.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I use PAT (in other words known as earned free time). They earn 4 minutes / day, I have 4 lines on the board symbolizing the minutes. When things don't go well, I start erasing half a line or a line (30 seconds or 1 minutes). It's surprising how much they care and they tell each other to shut up. The worst thing I end up doing is actually erasing a minute. No yelling, no threatening.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Devotee

Maryland
US History & World History
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
It's worked pretty well so far. If people are still talking, I give them a count. (if they get to three it's out of the classroom until they can handle themselves)
Your Admin is ok that with you putting kids out because you can't get them to be quiet?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Devotee

Maryland
US History & World History
I notice a lot of people say they wait and won't talk until the kids are quiet but I feel like this only works if the kids are relatively respectful of the teacher. Some teachers might be waiting until it's time to retire.

I watch a teacher do this everyday when he is teaching in my room during my plan. He says "I'll wait until everyone is quiet." But, many of the kids just keep on talking because when he's quiet they feel that's the best time to talk since they aren't talking over him. I watch them argue with him that they aren't being disrespectful if they are talking while he's quiet because he's not teaching.

Tags
attention, class