A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Habitué

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
Yeah... I don't take crap from anybody. I would have told her exactly where she can shove the form when she found it.

Then I would have found a different program .

Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Companion

NY
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTeachesMath View Post
Yeah... I don't take crap from anybody. I would have told her exactly where she can shove the form when she found it.

Then I would have found a different program .
That's what I did. I got called to my advisor's office so she could yell at me(for over an hour) about how I will never amount to anything. This was done in front of my classmates. I went home, cried for a while, and applied to three other graduate schools the next morning. I ended up graduating from a "top ten" school the same day I would have graduated from her toxic grad program.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by physteach View Post
That's what I did. I got called to my advisor's office so she could yell at me(for over an hour) about how I will never amount to anything. This was done in front of my classmates. I went home, cried for a while, and applied to three other graduate schools the next morning. I ended up graduating from a "top ten" school the same day I would have graduated from her toxic grad program.
The nerve of these egomaniacal, many times overpaid professors/advisors! I hope years later, you sent your advisor something just so she knew you graduated from a top ten school!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
I don't care how you acted, this was totally unprofessional. I would ask for a new advisor.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_Catz View Post
Maybe, but my "nervousness" manifests itself as more of a quietness that normally gets me accused of being "shy" unless the person knows me well. I'm not the type of person to talk over people, be jumpy, interrupting or shaky.

Unless it's someone I know well, I tend to hold back. Quiet people make loud people nervous and growing up, I often remember louder, more aggressive people seeming irritated by my quietness. I guess they think you're judging them or something when you don't say much.

Being around lots of people for long periods of times tires me out and I need time to myself to feel better. I guess that makes me more of an introvert.

I agree, it probably won't help to report her unless I can do it annoymously and even then, since I want to be in the program, I doubt it'll help.
In that case, she sounds like a nutjob. I'm sorry you have to deal with her.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
It's possible that someone else around the office heard her yelling. Unless you were threatening to throw her or yourself out the window, that kind of yelling isn't warranted. If you trust one of her immediate neighbors, ask for an appointment to discuss what happened.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
A fatherly hug (Em_Catz)

Where is Don Rickles when you need him?

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Habitué

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Aw, thank you so much for the love. I think I was upset at the time because it wasn't expected and I was feeling a little nervous (understandably so...the university closes this week for Winter Break, so I don't have endless time. Plus, my advisor seemed VERY clueless about administrative stuff like "How do I get a student i.d. number?" and "Do I have to wait until my paperwork is approved before I sign up for classes?" She got a little irritated and said, "I don't know any of that stuff! I just do the classes."
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Oh, UGH. Perhaps the Registrar might be able to advise you on the mundane stuff. If the department has an administrative assistant, contact him or her. Mine has honestly been more helpful than my actual advisor as I work though getting ready to start grad school.

Tags
advisor, office, put, threatened, yelled