A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Keep in mind a teacher's primary job is to teach academic skills. Getting students to complete their work in a timely manner is secondary to that and a means to an end.

Where is this student in terms of actual reading and math skills? That's the important question. Can she easily do the work she is not doing or is the issue that she takes longer because she is not proficient in the skills needed to complete the task?

Note that many students will become frustrated and then give up when they struggle with a task. To an adult, this looks like "playing around."

Old 01-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2z View Post
Hello again, just an update and answers to your questions. We took a math test and she had 5 problems done in 30 min. ( 20 problem test filled with various types of math problems) I was watching her to see what was distracting her and here is what I saw...1. She scratched off all her finger nail polish, she played with her hair and (how do I say this without offending anyone..) she played with herself with her pencil.

Yes that is her biggest distraction. Her mom knows she does this and I'm not too sure what to do except tell her to focus. Know when she did get to the other side she had a hard time figuring out a problem. I told her to move on and do the problems she knows but she couldnt. She started to get up set so I let her take a break. Once I read the question to her she understood. So in total it took an hour. (she got a 90) Will another school allow this? I guess I'm hyper sensitive because a previous parent came back to another teacher complaining that their child can't get the work done in time (by their new school standards) and there' s a problem with how we are doing things, maybe giving kids too much time?

Tags
finish, udent, work