A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Ravitch: Common Core Standards

I wondered what she was going to say. If you don't have time to examine her short post on the subject, she objects to the Common Core mainly because it's untested, weakens some states which already had stronger standards, arbitrarily favors non-fiction over fiction (This was probably Bill Gates' idea.) and greatly lowers performance scores in struggling schools.

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/02/26/w...ore-standards/

She's not opposed to any common core standards, just the untested kind that are forced upon states who want federal money.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Aficionado

USA
I'd suggest reading the comments, which highlight multiple weaknesses with her argument. I think she brings up some valid points, but her main issue seems to be that "reformers" came up with the idea, and she seems utterly opposed to any ideas that anyone comes up with other than teachers, despite not being one herself.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
I'd suggest reading the comments, which highlight multiple weaknesses with her argument. I think she brings up some valid points, but her main issue seems to be that "reformers" came up with the idea, and she seems utterly opposed to any ideas that anyone comes up with other than teachers, despite not being one herself.
It's interesting how I got an entirely different idea from reading her piece. She was read, perhaps even eager, to embrace the common core, but only after it was tested. I don't think it would matter to her who came up with the common core, but because educators did not have input, it's appropriate to view it with suspicion.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
They didn't arbitrarily choose to have more non-fiction. It's a proven fact that as adults, our students will read MUCH more non-fiction. At first I didn't like that, but then I realized it includes ALL their classes, not just English. I think they should be learning how to read technical pieces so when they go to college they can read their textbooks. If they go out into the work world right after HS, they will also need to be able to read technical manuals.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler B. View Post
It's interesting how I got an entirely different idea from reading her piece. She was read, perhaps even eager, to embrace the common core, but only after it was tested. I don't think it would matter to her who came up with the common core, but because educators did not have input, it's appropriate to view it with suspicion.

She spent a decent amount of time in her description of her opposition about who came up with it, which would indicate that was a factor in her opinion. But, yes - I agree with you that lack of educator support would be problematic.

And I think she said she was neutral as opposed to eager. She may have been in her own opinion, but her blog has never posted anything positive about common core - only negative, at least that I've seen.

Still, I'm not totally against her piece. I think she brings up some valid points, as usual.

Tags
common, core, ravitch, standards