A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Wow, HB, that sounds rough. I subbed a few times at a continuation school. Hubby subbed for a few years. THey are a rough, rough group, aren't they. I didn't have too much trouble, at least. Although, I mainly stuck with subbing at juvie.

However, I was called a b---- when I subbed at my old high school. I was also injured that same day. When I sent them to in-school detention, they were sent back. I never subbed for that high school again.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
I had it pretty bad today at a continuation school. I was a b---h, a c--t, stupid, worthless, not a real teacher etc. The worse part is another aide--an ADULT aide was in the room and would not back me up or tell them to stop. Students were openly texting and cheating during a quiz and when I walked over, put my hand on the desk of the ring leader and told him he needed to stop texting or I'd be taking his phone to the office for him to claim at the end of the day I got this: "you aren't taking my phone you f--king stupid b---h. If I don't listen to my real teacher what the f--k makes you think I'm going to listen to you?"
Wow!

What happened in the end, if you don't mind sharing?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Excused them--the next class came in (with some of the same students--the ones who were quiet) and that class was smooth because it was a free period. Securtiy Guard came in to check on me then--told him what happened. At the end of the day I handed in my key, smiled, thanked the school for having me, got in my car and promptly called my District Office to tell them I will never go to that school again.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Companion

New York
Substitute Teacher
Microbe…as a sub since May 2012, I got mocked up the wazoo. I got made fun of because of my last name (well, part of my last name, my last name is very long and I have them only call me by part of it), been cursed at, screamed at, and I've been called a mean sub. I either ignored it, laughed it off (lightly), gave the evil look, or firmly told them to stop, and that it is not nice.

An example is today when I was teaching a self-contained class, and this one student was screaming and misbehaving in the stairwell when we were going back up to class. I had to talk to him and he started saying how I'm a mean teacher. I just ignored it. I subbed for that class before and another student (who was absent today) said some not so nice things to me in another language, which I found out from someone who also speaks that language. The point is, I don't take crap from misbehaving students, even the silliest rude remark that I receive.

Subbing is rough. But to me, I just consider it temporary being that I am planning to become full-time. Just think of it that way
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Companion

I've never had a student mock me, but I once had a student flip me off after I told him to stop throwing things at other students. I privately and sternly told him, "I may not be your regular teacher, but you still need to treat me with respect." He was very well behaved for the rest of the day.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Oregon
Subbing/Job Searching (Secondary)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeky View Post
Can you please move to California and sub for my classes while you are job-hunting?!!
Aw, thanks! Weirdly enough, I've only been to California once. When I was about 14 my parents drove us just across the border after we'd seen the redwoods (the Oregon ones, of course) and we stayed in Crescent City so that we could say we'd "been to California." Typical Oregonians, I guess.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Oregon
Subbing/Job Searching (Secondary)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
I had it pretty bad today at a continuation school. I was a b---h, a c--t, stupid, worthless, not a real teacher etc. The worse part is another aide--an ADULT aide was in the room and would not back me up or tell them to stop. Students were openly texting and cheating during a quiz and when I walked over, put my hand on the desk of the ring leader and told him he needed to stop texting or I'd be taking his phone to the office for him to claim at the end of the day I got this: "you aren't taking my phone you f--king stupid b---h. If I don't listen to my real teacher what the f--k makes you think I'm going to listen to you?"
That's horrible. I've never had language that bad directed at me, but I will say that whenever a h.s. student just completely flies off the handle at me and commits some ridiculous act of insubordination, there's a cell phone involved 99.9% of the time. A perceived assault on their 24/7 phone rights brings out the "beast within" like nothing else.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Newcomer

Student Teacher
This is really weird because my students also call me Velma!

My school has a fb account and someone posted onto it that I resemble Velma.Since then, practically the whole school is in on this 'joke'.

I have dealt with it in different ways. I have had students come up to me and tell me that i look like Velma. They are not being mean or rude about it so i just nod and acknowledge it.

I have also had the class , as a whole, greet me as Ms Velma. I told the class that that is rude and since then, havent had anyone replace my real name as Ms Velma.

Anyway Velma is the only one with brains in scooby doo so i take it as a compliment of sorts :P
__________________________________________________ ______
I also have a soft voice and my voice gets screechy when I raise it to tell the class to keep quiet. I had one student imitating me right there and then. I gave him a look which chastened him but did not address it further. Should I bring it up again? Address him one on one.

The other teachers have been talking about this student as an 'irritating' boy. So he does have some issues being an attention seeker which can get on people's nerves. How do i talk to him about it without hurting his feelings?

Tags
deal, mocking, students