A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Rookie

Texas
Question Discipline Chart

I will be teaching a Pre-School class with 3 1/2 year olds. The other teacher in the class wants to have a disciplinary chart that moves kids to different colors on the chart based on behavior. The three behaviors being GREAT DAY, GOOD DAY, AND SO, SO DAY. I am in charge of creating a chart that depicts these behaviors. My question is to those who have experience working with this age group, Is this a good thing to do. Has anyone had experience with charts such as this, and have they been successful or a disaster for the children?

Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Companion

New York
Like you, this is my first time teaching preschool. I have designed a behavior chart based on a traffic light. Bascially self explanitory; Green means "Go", the children are behaving well; yellow is "warning", the children need to calm down or what have you; and red is "stop", the children must stop what they are doing and leave the area we are in, for example, circle time, for a minute or 2 to reflect on their behavior. If the bad behavior persists, they may loose some time during free play. I'm using clothespins w/ each kids name written on them. They all start at green, and if a child's behavior starts to become problematic, their clothespin is moved to the correct color for their behavior. I haven't used this method before, I actually got the idea from a friend of mine who used to teach preschool. I've heard that it works. It helps children to learn the consequences of their behavior and it helps them to realize that they have control over their actions. My question is this: is it a good idea to start implementing this behavior chart as soon as school starts or should I wait for about a month to introduce it and implement it? I kind of feel that using it right away may be too much for the children since they will take some time to get adjusted to school.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Rookie

Texas
My suggestion is to start off the school year with the system. I dont think that it will be too much, they can digest a whole lot more than we give them credit for. I probably wouldnt start it the first week, but the second week begin moving thier clothes pins to the appropriate color. Maybe the first week you just say, that is Green behavior, you are making good choices, you are going to stay on Green All day, I just know it. and so on with Yellow and Red.

We were considering doing school buses with thier names on them, i just for the life of me couldnt think of how to diagram it. I think I will use your GReen light yellow, and red light method to move the school buses to each area. That helps me a lot, thank you!

I have heard as well that it sets a good pace in the class for dicipline, I just fear setting a NEGATIVE pace from the start.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
This is what I'm currently doing with my munchkins. I have a 25 block chart hung up for each of the kids. Everytime they are caught doing something nice, being well behaved, etc. they get a star sticker to put on a square. Once all of those squares are filled up they get to pick a prize from our prize box. I bought many different things from the dollar store, wal-mart, etc. I found little erasers, cool pencils, bendy snakes, among other things. Cheap entertainment to keep them motivated.

I have found that when you are monitoring their behavior when they are aware of it, it sets a better tone for the whole room. After our prize box is empty we are probably going to do something with play money..like a "store" kind of thing at the end. It'll help them understand what the importance of money is for and help them gain more math skill, along with helping them behave properly.

Tags
chart, discipline