A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Our district uses handwriting with out tears. We have to use small (thin) pencils for small hands. Our OT encourages us all to cut our pencils down to the right size (golf size) and use thin ones. I guess it just depends on what philosophy your school uses. I'm sure you will find evidence supporting using fat pencils for preschoolers and skinny pencils for preschoolers. Personally I like the smaller pencils. I have found my students handwriting to be neater.

Last edited by JaimeMarie; 03-20-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Companion

Louisiana
Future History Teacher
just a side note - I personally use fat pencils myself that i cut down because my carpal tunnel is so bad. I keep putting off the surgery because I hate surgical procedures and I'm a nurse! lol
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
Like I said in my last post--- I use the chubby ones, but some of the children do have toruble because they are so long it goes past theri center of gravity for their wrists-- and seems to twist the wrist. I didn't use a wood saw-- i simply pressed it hard against the edge of the table and was able to easily snap them in half and then take the part that has the eraser and sharpen the broken end.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
I use skinny pencils, with the exception of students with fine motor issues. Those students have fat pencils with pencil grips.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Texas
We use golf pencils and broken crayons. I recently observed a child hold a regular size crayola marker in a fist/awkward grip. He then got the broken crayons and used a tripod grip. We discourage markers/fat crayons/fat pencils etc in 3's/4's classroom. One OT said it is like winning a giant 12" pencil at the fair and trying to write with it--it is awkward. There is also a product called Crayon Rocks that we have purchased that works well. It is basically a small crayon that you have to use a pincer grip to pick it up because it is small.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Rookie

NY
Preschool Teacher
Fat pencils are not appropriate. I went to a early childhood conference, and they (the professionals...many were OTs)
were opposed to pre-k and k centers using fat pencils for the little hands. They used this analogy...."How would you like it if you teachers were forced to start writing using tree trunks for pencils? (very bulky and awkward, wouldn't you say???)
Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Missouri
Interesting... I have both fat and skinny pencils, crayons and markers out for the kids.
I honestly never thought about breaking the long pencils or using short ones...
I think with the fat crayons the kids can't do very good coloring either.

I might have to break some pencils on Monday. Good stress relief too!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Groupie

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillo5w View Post
I might have to break some pencils on Monday. Good stress relief too!

It does help with that too!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Newcomer

Georgia
I have a hard time finding them

I have a 5 year old that has a hard time writing. We tried everything. I finally found a fat pencil at an arts and crafts store. It worked he can finally hold it and write legibly. His printing has become almost like the kindergarten teachers. But the fat pencils are prohibitively expensive at almost $3 each. The teacher loves his pencils. She says sharpening the skinny ones is a pain since they break in the sharpeners and the kids press down so hard they constantly need sharpening. She says my sons pencils don't need sharpening as often and when they do they don't break off in the sharpener. It is cost efficient to her time wise, but then she isn't the one having to constantly buy the pencils. Of course having to sharpen less frequently makes his pencils last longer and other children don't challenge him to games of pencil breaks.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Newcomer

Georgia
ha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachpk View Post
Fat pencils are not appropriate. I went to a early childhood conference, and they (the professionals...many were OTs)
were opposed to pre-k and k centers using fat pencils for the little hands. They used this analogy...."How would you like it if you teachers were forced to start writing using tree trunks for pencils? (very bulky and awkward, wouldn't you say???)
Yes but try writing with a single piece of broom straw. My son can't hold the regular pencils. We don't know why but we have found the fat crayons and the fat pencils are the only things he has control of. We are trying to ween him to skinnys but there are no in between ones like there was when I was younger. They used to have some that were medium and some that had one flat side to teach proper grips. We have even tried adding the rubber grippers for him but they still slide around on the skinny pencils and get lost too easily or he thnks they are toys. For now the fat pencils are working and he is gaining confidence in his handwriting where before he was frustrated since the pencil seemed to jump out of his hand when he tried to write and the kids would laugh at him. Now all the kids want pencils like his.

Tags
fat, pencils, thin or everyday