A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Companion

San Diego
Early Childhood Teacher
When I was in college, I was taught to never have your back to a child. You are always to have eyes on anything that went on in a room. I live by that always! I see everything and if I'm not able to I make sure my assistants never have their back to any child as well. I teach that age so you constantly have to have your eyes open. These children are so small and some don't even speak so of course they are going to cry to try and get what they want. They are very young toddlers. I feel like throwing up just thinking about that incident.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
(formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Northern IL
Getting Tired of Being Unemployed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase View Post
You are always to have eyes on anything that went on in a room.
I know. The lead Montessori Teacher I just finished working under was a sickle for this. She always pounded it into me to never have my back turned on the children.

I looked at a picture of a classroom on the daycare's website and, to be honest, it's a fairly small classroom. So how the other adult never saw this incident is truly beyond me. I'm sure the administration is wondering why the other adult didn't see it either.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
I would hate to be the other teacher--the guilt. Maybe she was changing a diaper or something...
Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Companion

San Diego
Early Childhood Teacher
Most classrooms I have been in have the changing table set up where you can see the whole room.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 AM
(formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Northern IL
Getting Tired of Being Unemployed
Daycare Center Closed By DCFS

About 2 weeks after a worker was charged with the death of an infant at the Minee Subee day care in Lincolnshire, Illinois, authorities shut down the center as they widen their criminal investigation.

According to the Daily Herald (a local paper):

The state Department of Children and Family Services ordered the closing of Minee Subee in the Park, 400 Marriott Drive, just after 1 p.m. Friday. Officers from Lake County Major Crimes Task Force and Lincolnshire police assisted DCFS officials and seized records, documents and computers covered under a court-ordered search warrant.

Officials indicated the action was part of the investigation into the Jan. 14 death of 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan of Deerfield.

“We had some inconsistent statements and some missing reports on their part,” Lincolnshire Police Chief Randall Melvin said. “In order to be prudent and in the best interests of the children, we felt it best to close them down until we can get to the bottom of this.”
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
Whoa....sounds like there was a lot of shady stuff going on there.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Companion

Washington State
Early Childhood Teacher
What a shame. I cannot even imagine hurting a child like that. If you are incapable of dealing with behavior issues in children then you should not teach!! There is no excuse for what she has done. Working with kids is something I do because I love them. If I could not handle unconditionally showing love to other peoples most prized possessions then I would find a new career.

It may not be our place to judge but I have a feeling that God is not smiling down on her right now. For every action there is a consequence.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Phenom

College admin.
This reminds me of the Baby Grace case. Did you read that while Grace's mother and her boyfriend were beating her to death, she repeated "I love you" over and over in an attempt to get them to stop?

That makes me want to lose my chicken patty sandwich.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Newcomer

United States
Student
WOW! I grew up in this town. I cant believe that this happened there.

Tags
aide, boy, charged, death, illinois, teacher