A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Rookie

Big Smile In need of cover letter help

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

August 2, 2005
XXXX School District
1300 Atlantic Avenue
5th Floor
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

To Whom It May Concern:
I am interested in applying for an elementary teaching position in the XXXX School District. As a 2005 graduate of Douglass College at Rutgers University, I have recently become interested in the field of education.

As of today, I do not have extensive teaching experience, but entering the teaching field is something that I am passionate about. During my college career, Ive taken two courses that helped me a great deal. These courses were Exploring Teaching as a Profession and Infant and Child Psychology. In these courses, I learned some of the essentials of teaching such as lesson planning and classroom management. Also, as a former student in the Atlantic City School District during my own elementary school years, I feel that teaching would be an excellent opportunity for me to give back to the community. Because I do not have teaching experience, I would be more than willing to enter the field as a substitute teacher or in any other type of temporary teaching position.

It is my professional goal to become a compassionate and inspirational educator to my future students and my fellow teachers. I intend to make a positive contribution to the community and the Atlantic City School District. I would welcome an interview and hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX
Enclosure

I recently typed up this quick cover letter. there are probably tons of errors. but if there is anyone who could reply and help me spruce up this cover letter, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
Did you graduate WITHOUT a teaching degree? Sounds like you are giving this person to whom you are hoping to HIRE you, a reason to NOT hire you because you havent the experience, and courses expected of a teacher...

let me take a closer look and rewrite this out for you in a way that is more professional and less personal
Old 08-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
To Whom It May Concern:
My name is_________. I am a recent graduate of Douglass College at Rutgers University, with a degree in________. I am extremely interested in pursuing a career in the field of education, and I want to gain experience working with children, and receive hands on training from teachers in the _____school district. I am interested in applying for an elementary teaching position in the XXXX School District. I would be estatic to enter the field as a substitute teacher or in any other type of temporary teaching position.

I anticipate an opportunity to enter the teaching field and have taken two courses that are education related. These courses were Exploring Teaching as a Profession and Infant and Child Psychology. In these courses, I learned some of the essentials of teaching such as lesson planning and classroom management. During my Elementary years, I attended the Atlantic___school and I feel that teaching would be an excellent opportunity for me to give back to the community.

It is my professional goal to become a motivating and inspiring educator and an asset to the Atlantic City School District. I would welcome an interview and hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
This is what i could come up with as what is MOST important from your cover letter. Its to the point and much more optimistic. I do wish you much luck and if you need any other help, just post!
ruth
Old 08-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Two suggestions....
1. If you know the name of the person you are sending the letter to (superintendent, asst.superintendent, principal, etc) address the letter to him/her in the greeting. Only use "to whom it may concern" if you don't know exactly who you're sending it to.
2. I was always told not to state my name in the beginning of a cover letter because it is usually at the top of the page with the address and what-not and will also be at the bottom with the signature.

Just my suggestions!

Bethany
Old 08-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks so much. i have made some changes to my cover letter. Thanks a bundle Beth and mommaruthie.

and oh...i applied for my c.e. (certificate of eligibity). its an alternate route. i have a degree in history.

Tags
cover, letter