A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 10-20-2002, 03:16 PM

Question How do you deal with negative teachers?

Hi, I'm a first year teacher and am having problems with a few of the teachers in my school. There are a handful of teachers who have been teaching for probably 20 years or more, and are incredibly negative and huge gossips. I try my hardest to just listen and not contribute to anything being said, and I don't bring my personal life to work with me, as they all do, but I'm finding it really difficult to just listen anymore. I'm really close to telling them to get lost and leave me alone, (I'm not one to tell people off, at all). But it seems like they all come to me to vent their problems, but I can't figure out why because I don't give them any kind of reaction. I know they go to each other too, but then they come to me about each other. It's seriously driving me crazy! I feel like we are the students, with all the gossiping and backstabbing going on. Does anyone else have to deal with this at all? How do you handle it without losing your temper or making yourself nuts?! I think I really need to know that there are teachers out there who are actually mature and know how to behave like adults.

Old 10-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Cohort

Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Try reading the responses to my 'obsessed' thread and you will be so uplifted by how many caring and dedictated teachers there are out there to support you!! Coming here is a great source of inspiration for me in many ways.

As for during the school day, things will be a little bit harder. I have a second year teacher and a veteran (30 years!) who both compain equally and frequently to the other member of our team and I, and each other. Like you, I try to give them no reaction. Just 'un-huh' and 'yeah' and 'wow'. Sometimes I vent, too, because soemtimes it does make me feel better, but I have learned that your stress level and job satisfaction lie in your outlook.

Yes, the PE teacher didnt show up and you now have no planning time, but at least you'll have it the other 4 days this week! Yes, that child makes you repeat everything you say and still can't get it right, but you know he's a sweet kid who would never disrespect you intentionally (and some kids would!). There are so many good things about my job, I just try not to complain too much because I know I've got it good in many ways.

Try to stay out of their classrooms and make friends with other staff members. When they come to you and complain, keep working on whatever it was you were doing, grading papers, cutting something out, straightening desks. At least you will not be wasting your own time while they waste theirs complaining! I have found that I only get resentful of all the b**ching and moaning if it keeps me from getting my own work done.

You're going to get a lot of posts about this one, because it hasn't been discussed in a while and really hits home for too many people (unfortunately). Keep checking back...
Old 10-20-2002, 06:56 PM

I am a first year teacher too, and what i see with the veteran teachers is that they seem to take everything as an easy job. I am sure that after 20 + years planning is not a huge task, nor is getting to work a little early to do AM duty ect....Where as being this is my first year...its overwhelming and can get frustrating...how do I nicly deal with teachrs who thinkg im crazy because I am stressing over something?
Old 10-23-2002, 04:10 PM

Hang in there. It gets easier by the 11th or 12th year! No matter where you work, there will always be that venting going on. For the most part it is harmless. Remember, some of these veteran teachers have probably worked together for a long time-maybe 20 years or more and are very comfortable with each other. They may simply be trying to make you feel part of the group. If you want them to talk about "other" stuff, ask them to help you out with stuff. I bet they would be glad to help you and then the focus could be somewhere else. I think you are just frustrated with all there is to do. "Don't sweat the small stuff kid" this isn't a big deal.

Tags
deal, negative, teachers