A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Comrade

North Carolina
Kindergarten Teacher
Second grader peeing in pants

I have a student who is non-stop all day long. She's out of her seat more than she's in it, constantly in bathroom, at water fountain, talks ALL the time, etc. Anyway, she recently peed in her pants during P.E. class and I thought it was odd, but let it go, thought she may have done it for attention. Then today, she peed in her pants at her seat while I was cleaning vomit out of the bathroom from someone else (yeah, it was an interesting afternoon!). I was livid! Now, I'm convinced she is doing it for attention! Of course I'm going to talk to mom, but it is one of those situations where she'll probably blame me and think something's going on in the classroom. So, I'm afraid she will keep peeing in my room! What do I do with a student as unique as her? And, has anyone ever had a child older than 7 pee their pants?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Novice

2nd Grade Teacher
If you think she is doing it for attention then give her as little as possible. Call Mom and tell her to be sure to send a change of clothes in the child's backpack. When she has the next accident you can discretely tell her to go change without making an issue of it. If she's doing it on purpose, it won't be any fun for her to do if she doesn't get much af a reaction.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
You need some plastic bags for her to put the wet clothes in (smell and stains) ''

After she leaves wipe down the spot with disinfectant and wear rubber gloves.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
It could be attention, of course, but if it continues I wonder if you should suggest she have the girl checked by her doctor???
Old 10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I would discuss it with mom and listen for insight. There could be an underlying condition (either physical or phycological). If nothing else, keeping an open minded approach may win mom over to your side if you need to take stronger tactics.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Id
Drinking and peeing excessivly is a sign of diabetes dont forget to watch that. She needs to see a doctor in any case if she is wetting her pants repeatedly at 7. Even a GP know to check for mental as well as physical issues.
My neighbors son has ADD and a few other issues and the hyper activity as well as the meds have occasionally cause him to have accidents in school and while asleep.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Fanatic

Northwest
Preschool Teacher
Try not to be mad! There could very well be a physical problem. She could have a small bladder, she could have a bladder infection (I had two kids start the year with them), she could be holding it too long because she is too busy to stop and go to the bathroom.

Talk to her mom and ask if she has had any problems at home. Ask mom to send a few pairs of undies and a couple pairs of pants for emergencies. Then if it happens again, show her where the bags are for her wet clothes, hand her the paper towels and some Lysol cleaner, and let her clean up after herself. I am dead serious. She is old enough, it won't hurt her, and it is time for her to see that she is responsible for the consequences of her behavior, whether she can help it or not. It is not a punishment - why should you have to stop your whole class to clean up after one child? (the vomit, that is another story)

Poor you!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Devotee

Nevada
2nd Grade Teacher
The other 4th grade teacher at my school has had several students pee in their pants in her room! 4th Grade!! One of them it happened several times, and she did have some sort of medical condition. The others, have just been random incidents. I'm so glad it's been in her room, and not mine!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Novice

Washington State
1st Grade Teacher
It is also a sign of abuse.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
I had a second at the beginning of the year last year that still pooed his pants on occasion. Some of the time it was that he wasn't wiping as well, but most of the time it was that he didn't ask to go to the bathroom. We figured out that he was doing it because mom would come and pick him up and take him home. As soon as she just started bringing a change of clothes he quit.

Tags
grader, pants, peeing