A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
"Parents Are Teachers Too!" Apple Idea Success!

I have to share! My Open House was tonight and I am sooooo happy that I got the idea to give my parents the "Apple for the teacher" poem along with an apple as a welcome gift. It went over very well and EVERY parent left with a smile!! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the poem, it is:
"An apple for the teacher,
is never anything new.
Especially when you remember,
that parents are teachers too!"

I had every child write out the poem on pretty paper, then we wrapped candy apples in beautiful red transparent gift wrap with a bow. Cute! The whole project cost me no more than $20!!! I bought candy apples from a local grocery store which came three for $1.99. And the wrapping paper was $1.00 at the Dollar Tree!!! My kids were so excited to prepare this for their parents, and this put a positive tone into every parent-teacher conversation! When they walked in and saw the beautiful gift, and realized it was a candy apple, read the poem......I knew I sparked the beginning of some good parent-teacher relationships! THANK YOU ALL FOR THAT IDEA!! Our conversations were all about how they can help their child at home more & I just felt the willingness to do their part.
(I even had a few parents from last year peek into my room & say hello which made me feel really good. I also had like 5 students from last year visiting me instead of visiting their own teacher! I had to kick them out.) My collegues peeked in & gawked (sp?)over the idea. I know alot of them will do the same next parent-teacher conference day. LoL!!

My parents LOVED the poem!And I think I planted a tiny seed in their heads about their role in their child's education.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Guru

I'm glad you had this positive experience. I'm sure it meant a lot to the parents! Very cute idea.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Aficionado

California, USA
2nd & 3rd Grade Multiage
That is so neat! I can't wait to be a real teacher and do things like that. Way to go
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Cohort

Southwest Missouri
I think parent involvement is extremely important. I think it's great that you did such a wonderful thing for your parents. So many parents need a gentle nudge to feel the courage to be involved without feeling intimidated by their child's teacher. I'm so happy for your success!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Connoisseur

parent
That sounds absolutely wonderful! I know as a parent I'd be thrilled to have a teacher who'd do something like that for open house night, simply because it shows thought, planning, and creativity.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Maven

Florida
Fifth Grade QUEST (Gifted) Teacher
We have one-on-one parent-teacher conferences next Thursday evening. How did you prepare the candy apples with them? I really think this idea is neat.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
Because of time constraints, I didn't "make" the candy apples with the kids. (We would have to boil the mixture anyway). But what I did was buy the candy apples from the grocery store which were already packaged 3 in a pack. The candy apples were so great because they came nice & neat with nuts on top. So each child took one and wrapped it up with some red, transparent, shiny wrapping paper that I bought from the Dollar Tree. The Dollar store also had ribbons to tie around the apple. We bunched up the wrapping paper around the stick like a gift & viola!! Then we attached the poem to the stick.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
I've done this before and they usually are a hit, but I had not thought of using candy apples. I bet that makes the present look that much more impressive. I may have to see if I can find candy apples (since I surely won't be making them) when our first open house comes around.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Did you pre-taste an apple?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Habitué

West Coast
Middle School Teacher
I love that!! I might need to steal that for my student teaching next year or for when I have my own classroom!

Tags
apple, idea, parents are teachers too, success