A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Cohort

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpa1b2
In my school textbooks are resources, not the curriculum. We have state benchmarks to follow. The textbooks don't necessarily cover everything that we are to cover & sometimes they have things we don't need to cover.
This is how the textbooks are in my district. In our science textbook for 4th grade, it covers four units. Only two are aligned with the state standards and that's stretching it a bit. I've known several teachers who have taught to the science textbook, which means that they're teaching two units they don't need to and neglecting two units that they actually need to teach.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Groupie

California
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the understanding that most textbooks are written for either Texas or California standards as they are the "big" text book buyers. So if the textbook is written according to your state standards, you can plan units using just the teacher editions.

In my school textbooks are resources, not the curriculum. We have state benchmarks to follow. The textbooks don't necessarily cover everything that we are to cover & sometimes they have things we don't need to cover.
Ohhh, I see what you mean. Yeah, our textbooks are alligned with our state standards. That is why we have the Open Court Reading police coming by to check that we are using the textbook exactly as it is written. We can and do use other resources but we are required to use the textbooks as a minimum.
So I guess I am still kind of confused. So is it the state standards that Nicole needs help finding?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Groupie

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalilys
This is how the textbooks are in my district. In our science textbook for 4th grade, it covers four units. Only two are aligned with the state standards and that's stretching it a bit. I've known several teachers who have taught to the science textbook, which means that they're teaching two units they don't need to and neglecting two units that they actually need to teach.
Wow! That's crazy! Our science texts are directly aligned to our state standards and I still have to use/buy supplementary resources because the text is so hard for the kids to understand. I can imagine how much money is spent to teach units that you don't even have textbooks for. Does the school help you out at all?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Cohort

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
Our textbook is above student's reading levels, too. It is not exactly student friendly, so I spent a considerable amount of time figuring out other ways to teach the content. We are adopting a new program called FOSS this upcoming year, so I hope that it does end up being more teacher and student friendly.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Comrade

Somewhere
Thanks Nicole! I am sitting at my desk right now trying to figure this out as well....you were reading my mind too. I am also a new first year teacher and this puzzles me because we never started student teaching until the middle of the school year..so i am quite puzzled as well. What grade are you teaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Nicole
Man, I hate being a new teacher and not knowing anything :grin: my cooperating teachers "do not like to be contacted until the first contract day" so I can't ask them anything.

When do you get into your regular curriculum? We have early release on the first day and start school on a Monday this year.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Comrade

Somewhere
BuLadybug do you start with the review from the beginning of your reading book? I am wondering if I should incorporate that as well into my third day of teaching or should I go straight to the first theme. We start school on a Tuesday so we will only have four days for the beginning week? or should I just plan on using those reviews to stick into each day of the beginning of theme 1 to review letters, sounds, and such? I am also teaching 1st grade this year. I student taught kindergarten and some of the kids struggled to get their numbers and alphabet sounds, so I am wondering if my kids will have lost that by the time school starts again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLadybug
I usually start around the 3rd day. The first two days are usually spent on getting to know you activties and learning all of the procedures, etc. I teach first grade and going over and rehearsing the procedures is key.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Fanatic

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclalum
So I guess I am still kind of confused. So is it the state standards that Nicole needs help finding?
I think we've digressed from what Nicole actually asked. She wanted to know when we start teaching the curriculum. Oops that was her orginal question.

Then she asked about state standards.

Nicole, here's a link to Missouri's glck's (grade level content expectations). That should get you started.

http://dese.mo.gov/divimprove/curriculum/GLE/index.html
Old 07-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the understanding that most textbooks are written for either Texas or California standards as they are the "big" text book buyers. So if the textbook is written according to your state standards, you can plan units using just the teacher editions.

I agree.

When I did freelance writing for a big textbook company, we were given Texas and California standards.

In most schools in other states, the teacher's edition is a guideline, NOT the actual syllabus.

Tags
curriculum, dive, regular