A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 04-03-2002, 05:14 PM

We use writer's workshop in my third grade class. Overall their writing is pretty good, but their endings are pretty lame. Inevitably I read 4 or 5 "they lived happily ever after" or "they went home and went to bed" everyday! I found some great info on story leads but am in search of a creative way of teaching story endings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 04-09-2002, 07:54 PM

I teach first grade, so its probably a little bit different. My students usually write stories about themselves. For example, they just wrote a story about something they did over their Spring break vacation. They ended the story by writing how they felt about what they did. It is easy for them to describe feelings,it is a very clear ending to their stories and they are all differnt. One student went to a zoo, so his ending went something like this: I had an exciting trip to the zoo on my Spring break. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 AM
pbencher

to be continued

How about requiring the next story to tie in? Tell them that it's like a TV show with a commercial and you want people to come back after the commercials... to be continued...

Or, with great writing prompts available on the web... give them 2 (yes 2). One is for today's writing and the next if for tomorrows, but they have to tie together. It seems like the weirder they are the easier it is to create something wild. ie today could be...'Once there was a smelly pirate, who had no sense of smell himself...' and tomorrow's could be "After they ordered a Bic Mac and fries they drove off in their..."

Or ask a question at the end...
"What will happen next to our daring duo?"

Good luck
Old 04-22-2002, 04:23 PM

Wink

look why don't you just explain to them how you feel and tell them that it would be boring having the same ending.Give the kids and assigment and pick out one child at a time while they are doing the assigment and explain to him/her specifically the type of ending you would like.

- By the way I teach fifth grade and they are driving me nuts.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:29 PM

Lightbulb

I teach 7th grade.In one of my classes there is this boy who at the beginning of the year ended each story or essay he wrote with the same ending"They were very sincere to each other and they lived a happy and honorable life".And other students sord of did the same.They wrote the same ending with different words.
One day I told them that the kid who did the most creative writing piece will recieve $5.00 and 10 extra points for their reportcard grade.Well the stories were really good and even the boy wrote a more interesting ending.They still write good endings.I give them extra credit.

¤If I were to give each story $5.00 I would be broke.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Fanatic

Broward County Florida
writing is like a sandwich

Hi,
here is a suggestion, have some imagery with this one!!

A sandwich has two slices of bread, same on both ends.
so then should a beginning and ending sentence of a paragraph.(it repeats itself)

the meat of the sandwich is the same as the facts of a story.

To spice up the sandwich, you add condiments, and vegetables. To spice up a story you add more details about the facts you stated. give examples....

A good sandwich needs everything on it, just like a good story.
If a child writes something and you think that there is no ending then you need to say, a sandwich needs its other bread!!! If its missing details then say so... Could you add some pickles and sauces to the sandwich!!!
IT WORKS for me....
Old 05-07-2002, 07:29 PM

Smile Just a few thoughts...

Although I am still yet a student teacher, I do have my job set up for next year. I will be teaching fifth grade--a grade I hear from many is quite challenging. Thinking ahead, I am also wondering how I will encourage my students to use creativity and individuality when writing. I don't want them to complete an assignment just to get a grade. I want them to learn life lessons from whatever they do.
So. when thinking about how I will encourage creative writing in general, I think that it is crucial that students see how exciting writing can be. Show them this through the literature that you bring into the classroom. Keep it varied and interesting. Find something that will interest every student in your classroom. Then, read these pieces of literature together, perhaps even highlighting how each ends. Discuss the similarities and differences.
You could also try reading a book almost all the way through, but stop before the last page. Have students predict what will happen and then have them write their own endings to the story. Share these together and be sure to not only congratulate students on their use of proper sentence structure and creativity, but praise them for thinking "out of the box" -- for this is truly what an good author would do.
I truly believe that if students come to realize how exciting writing can be, they will no longer settle for "boring" ending. They will desire to show their creativity and growth through their unique and individual writing. Writing that could be blossom into a new generation of authors!
Old 05-07-2002, 07:34 PM

Although I am still yet a student teacher, I do have my job set up for next year. I will be teaching fifth grade--a grade I hear from many is quite challenging. Thinking ahead, I am also wondering how I will encourage my students to use creativity and individuality when writing. I don't want them to complete an assignment just to get a grade. I want them to learn life lessons from whatever they do.
So. when thinking about how I will encourage creative writing in general, I think that it is crucial that students see how exciting writing can be. Show them this through the literature that you bring into the classroom. Keep it varied and interesting. Find something that will interest every student in your classroom. Then, read these pieces of literature together, perhaps even highlighting how each ends. Discuss the similarities and differences.
You could also try reading a book almost all the way through, but stop before the last page. Have students predict what will happen and then have them write their own endings to the story. Share these together and be sure to not only congratulate students on their use of proper sentence structure and creativity, but praise them for thinking "out of the box" -- for this is truly what an good author would do.
I truly believe that if students come to realize how exciting writing can be, they will no longer settle for "boring" ending. They will desire to show their creativity and growth through their unique and individual writing. Writing that could be blossom into a new generation of authors!
Old 05-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Kristi Mast

Tags
endings, putting, sleep, story, students