A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Newcomer

NZ
Learning goals for 3-4 year olds

I was wondering what things my child should be able to do before she starts preschool at 4.
I dont do anything formally at present though she knows her alphabet, writes her name and most letters, can count to ten and recognize both letters and single digit numbers and is very sociable.
Is there anything vital that I should be teaching her or should I just carry on letting her enjoy playing as I dont want to push her into things to much.
Any ideas or links to information would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 01-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Comrade

Sydney, Australia
5th Grade Teacher
Good gracious, my son couldn't do most of that at 5 going to kindergarten! However, he learnt it all, and more, by the end. School readiness, in my opinion, has nothing to do with learning ABC and 1,2,3... as long as they can sit still for half an hour, follow simple directions and be reasonably sociable, they're usually fine. Let her play, she sounds more than ready for school!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I'm not a Pre-K teacher, but I do have 3 kids.

I think probably the most important ability is the ability to separate from mommy for a few hours, knowing that she'll come back.

The teachers can handle the rest.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Comrade

Wheeling, WV, USA
It sounds like she is doing very well! I wouldn't think that she would have any trouble getting used to school as long as she can separate easily from you.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Cohort

Michigan
Put her coat on by herself. Zipping it would be bonus.
Be able to take care of all her bathroom needs including washing her hands, with soap.
Have her wear Velcro shoes unless she knows how to tie.
Blow and wipe her nose, sneeze and cough into elbow area, NOT hands
Be able to sit and listen for 10-15 min.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
Teach her manners and patience. Read to her daily. Give her plenty of love and teach her to be nice to everyone. You should see how some children come into Preschool. They cannot learn if they don't have the "basics" of life in order.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Habitué

NH/USA
currently tutoring
Grammy Teacher is right on target once again!! Super advise.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
I agree with Grammy. Teaching a child the proper social skills will aid her in everything she does in preschool. I also agree with EDUK8 about the self help skills. Those are also very important. Putting shoes on by herself, coat, bathroom skills, etc. On the flip side though, I also think it's important for kids to know basic academics as well. Just because a child will be going to preschool doesn't excuse parents from doing their job in "teaching" their children math and reading skills at home. Schools are so much different and it's important we do not let the children become lost, even if we don't agree with the way the system is now a days. Even though preschool isn't ALL academics, it's still important and a part of it. It seems like she will do great though from what you mentioned. She sounds right on target! Good job to you mom!

Just make sure you help get any separation anxiety out of the way. Make drop offs short and sweet, even if she is upset. I know you'll want to stick around if she is upset, but she will soon realize that she will be ok after awhile and that being upset or crying wont get mommy to stick around. They always eventually get use to it.

Tags
goals, learning, olds, year