A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Newcomer

nj
Job interview but CE still pending

Hello everyone,

I am an alternate route candidate currently waiting to receive my Certificate of Eligibility from the state (It's been about 7 months since I applied.) I'm a day-to-day substitute teacher, and I've been counting on a job offer within the district. However, I recently applied for an English position at a neighboring town's high school and was called for an interview. I'm really excited, but nervous about not having my CE yet. ESPECIALLY since, when I applied for the position, I sort of prematurely informed them that I have my CE. But I mean, I have literally been checking the NJDOE's website every day and when I finally got someone on the phone, they said I should hear something in a few weeks. So, does anyone have any advice on what to say during the interview? And do you know if there's a way they could hire me before the CE is processed?

Thanks in advance,
Monica

Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Phenom

Don't worry, if they hire you, they can contact the appropriate people. It happens all the time. It's a long wait for that piece of paper, but you can be hired. Just be honest, and say you are awaiting the actual document. As long as you have met requirements there should not be a problem.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCurry
Hello everyone,

ESPECIALLY since, when I applied for the position, I sort of prematurely informed them that I have my CE.
That's the only part that would concern me at all.

But I agree. Say that your CE is "pending." Everyone who has ever dealt with a State Board of Ed is familiar with the delays. And they're only worse this time of year; you can pretty much assume that your application will remain on whichever desk it is until after the new year.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Devotee

New Jersey, USA
If they ask about it, just say that you have completed all of the requirements and that your CE is due any day... Like it was said above, if they really like you, they'll contact the state and get the paperwork moving.
Every teacher and administrator knows how long the state can take to get the paperwork into the mail!!
Old 12-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
When I was still waiting for mine to come in the mail, I said that it was pending and would bring the proof that I had met all of the requirements with me to the interview (college transcripts, copy of my degree, and test scores). I also would usually bring along a print-out from the DOE website where it said that my application was being processed.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Devotee

New Jersey, USA
Good thinking with the printout from the DOE!!

Tags
interview, job, pending