A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Special Education Archives

Old 11-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Washington
new teacher 4 new academic life skills class needs help!

Hello! I found this chat forum searching for info about academic life skills programs. I am not new to teaching special ed, but I am new to this state and new to teaching students with significant cognitive disabilities. The class will be 10 students, K-5. The only thing that exists besides the students and myself is a large empty room. I have to figure out the best way to transition the students from their current classrooms (spread out over the county) to my class, how to set up my class from what to buy and where to put it, what and how to teach, and how to integrate the students with their typically developing peers. Any help on any subject would be very welcome!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
Hi short e,
not sure of your levels but I really enjoy this company and their materials are durable.
hope it helps
good luck

http://www.shoeboxtasks.com/pages/shoeboxtasks.html
Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Washington
Hi IPinPa

Thanks for the suggestion and responding to my plea for help. Do you work with moderate-severly disabled students? If so, are you a special ed teacher? I don't know the functional levels of my students as I have just been hired and have not had access to their files or met with their current teachers yet. If you do work with this population, do you have any suggestions about daily classroom schedule, curriculum, etc.?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Rookie

New York
Hi there,

Congratulations on getting this job. I have taught this population (secondary aged kids, but students who functioned academically at the Pre K to 3rd grade level).

Anyhow, the best thing I've found to do is to separate them into groups based on their levels (if they have IEPs that can give you an indication of their level and assessments that you give them).

If you have 10 kids and hopefully 1 or more aids divide them into 3 groups. Then you can either rotate every period or just stay with that group throughout the day.

Set up a very specific point program and give them jobs to do just like you would in any other class. The more specific and basic you can make things, the better.

Integrate music, simple hands on projects, read-alouds and pictures into things as much as possible.

A few great resources I've used are Remedia.com, Enchanted Learning.com, ABC Teach and Linda's Links to Literacture.

Good luck and have fun with it. This is an awesome pop. to work with.

- Dee :-)
Old 12-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Rookie

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2cfh
Hi there,

Congratulations on getting this job. I have taught this population (secondary aged kids, but students who functioned academically at the Pre K to 3rd grade level).

Anyhow, the best thing I've found to do is to separate them into groups based on their levels (if they have IEPs that can give you an indication of their level and assessments that you give them).

If you have 10 kids and hopefully 1 or more aids divide them into 3 groups. Then you can either rotate every period or just stay with that group throughout the day.

Set up a very specific point program and give them jobs to do just like you would in any other class. The more specific and basic you can make things, the better.

Integrate music, simple hands on projects, read-alouds and pictures into things as much as possible.

A few great resources I've used are Remedia.com, Enchanted Learning.com, ABC Teach and Linda's Links to Literacture.

Good luck and have fun with it. This is an awesome pop. to work with.

- Dee :-)

Thank you for your suggestions Dee. Can you tell me what you mean by "specific point program" and some examples of jobs you give your students and how you assign/post them in the classroom? I have assigned students jobs to do before but never felt I organized/presented it in the most efficient way. BTW- I now know my students will be in first and third grade with mild to moderate MR.

Thank you!

Tags
academic, class, life, skills, teacher