A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Cohort

Christmas activity idea for 7th graders?

I teach 7th grade English, and I was thinking of an activity to do for the last day before the holidays. We have exams on the last 2 days before the holidays, and it's crazy to start something new then. I have heard about a pick-me-up/feel good activity with paper lunch bags. You have the kids decorate them and kids write things to make them feel good. They drop these things in the bag. I know that 7th graders are starting to feel the self-esteem problems and such. I'd like to do this activity but I need to really think about it. How do you manage this? What if kids don't know each other well? How do I make sure everyone gets enough. I don't want anyone to feel excluded from this activity since my intention is to make them feel good.

Any pointers here? Any advice?

Old 11-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
It theoretically sounds like a great idea, but it is also one that can backfire with seventh graders - partially because of some of the difficulties you mentioned and partially because seventh graders I have had in the past are uncomfortable (as a whole) with an activity like this. Perhaps others with classes having a positive reaction to this activity may be able to help you.

I would find some fun cooperative learning games to do instead.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Comrade

Somewhere
I am trying to think of something too. I teach 7th grade math and was going to do a mobile of three dimensional shapes but I am still searching for something easier and much more fun. I will be doing the project for two days. Any ideas? I will keep my eyes out for English projects.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
Here are some of the activities I have used as time fillers:

http://dimacs.rutgers.edu~judyann/LP...s/12.days.html

edhelper has some holiday soduko puzzles. Have a race to see which group of three can complete it the fastest.

http://www.edhelper.com/sudoku.htm

http://www.edhelper.com/Christmas.htm

http://education-world.com/a_lesson/03//lp327-02.shtml
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderW05
I am trying to think of something too. I teach 7th grade math and was going to do a mobile of three dimensional shapes but I am still searching for something easier and much more fun. I will be doing the project for two days. Any ideas? I will keep my eyes out for English projects.

I'm in kind of a rush, so this isn't well thought out, but here goes:

Assuming you have internet access (or time to find the info beforehand), could you do something on how fast Santa would have to travel? You could calculuate the surface area of land on our planet and figure out how fast he would have to travel to cover the whole planet in 24 hours.

Something along those lines: large numbers, lots of decimals, but with a Christmas twist??

Again, it's not well thought out, but I've got to get 3 kids ready for Church. Good luck!

Tags
7th, activity, christmas, graders, idea