A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Mother's Day Archives

Old 05-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Companion

4th grade Mother's Day gifts

Hi!

I'm looking for cheap ideas for mother's day gifts. I teach 4th grade. I've done the baby jar candle holder. I really like painting terra cotta pots. Any ideas w/those? I need to be able to get all the materials at Walmart though. (that's where my PO is)

Thanks!

Oh, do any of you who get out of school in May ever do Father's Day gifts? (the kids would have to keep them for a month though)

Old 05-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Devotee

Florida
We get out in May so I don't ever do Father's Day gifts. I kinda feel bad about that but there is just no time left to do something like that. And with kinders, they could never hold off for that long.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:15 PM

Florida
Crayola.com has some cute ideas - just stuff made with paper, tho. I don't do Father's Day. One year I did tiny clay pots with a paper flower with the child's picture in the center. A little sign said, Thank you for helping me grow.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
recipe book

Each student brings one or two favorite recipes. Students type them during computer time. Make them into a booklet. Staple the edges together or use the binders. Laminate the covers make them special and last longer. I still have the one my daughter gave me 20 plus years ago. We made copies of it a few years ago for her class reunion get together. Many had lost track of the first one and were delighted to get a copy when they were older. Petunia in Kansas
Old 05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Newcomer

NY
Mother's Day Project

I'm sure you may have found a project by now, but you may like this cheap solution for next year. I am a preschool teacher on a tight budget, and I found a great project. All you need is a styrofoam cup, pipe cleaner, 2.5" clay pot, and something like stuffing or spanish moss to go into the pot. You take the styrofoam cup and cut down the sides about 7 times about a half inch apart. Cut all the way down to about 3/4" from the bottom of the cup. Set the oven for 250 deg. I put three cups on an old cookie tray at one time. The sides will start to curl and create a flower. It takes about 5 to 10 seconds. You need to watch because it happens fast! We had each child paint the cup with their choice of tempra paint, then we put their picture in the middle. When put together, it's a permanent flower for mom that will never wilt. We also decorated white lunch bags as gift bags. The most time consuming part is the cups!
Old 05-01-2004, 08:17 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
My mom's had her preschool kids use the small terra-cotta pots... the kids use their thumbprints to make bugs/butterflies/flower/etc on the pots (the teachers draw on the legs or whatever since thek ids arel ittle), and then they plant a flower in it. Your 4th graders might enjoy decorating the pots. I know I've seen them at craft stores, but I imagine Wal-Mart might have them too.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

I painted terra cotta pots last year. We painted green grass on the bottom, white clouds at the top with a sun. Took our paint and fingerprints and made red ladybuds and yellow bees. Used a thin black marker to add bee lines and ladybug spots. Plainted a flower inside
Old 05-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

bina,
It's not terra cotta pots, but easy and cheap: packages of flat wooden shapes they can paint and personalize. I know Wal-Mart has them in the crafts section. maxine
Old 05-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Companion

Thanks everyone!!

You had some great ideas. I finally ended up going w/terra cotta pots. I am giong to have the kids paint them then fill with some sort of bean. (kidney maybe?) I wil have the kids make flowers out of craft sticks. On each flower will be a chore or "job" the kids can do for their moms.

Thanks again!!

Tags
4th, day, gifts, grade, mother