A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Companion

How soon and often should we correct a 1st grader's spelling?

I'm talking about writing samples, not spelling tests (where you correct mistakes without question).

I had students write a brief sentence and here's an example of what I got:

miu fend sed do you ned hlep edd I sed what

I am so tempted to fix his spelling mistakes, but is it better that I not? I am wondering if he will even process it and if my red marks will only discourage him. Tips from the veteran pro 1st grade teachers here?

When do we correct spelling mistakes in writing samples for 1st grade, and how often should we correct their spelling?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
We never correct writing samples for writing workshop work. Within the writing time it is all considered a draft until we edit and publish. The focus is in writing a story and getting your idea on paper. You could have a class lesson or one on one about using words from the word wall and/or saying words slowly to make sure they have all of the sounds in the right place. They probably also need to learn to go back and read the sentence when they finish a page and a story to be sure it says what it should say and is using their best spelling. I encourage kid spelling and don't want them to be afraid to write something just because they can't spell it.

All of these should probably whole class mini lessons over time unless your class is spelling exceptionally well. I would say you teach them to fix mistakes when they finish a sentence, finish a page, and when they are getting ready to publish.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I wouldn't correct any errors, but you could rewrite the sentence underneath.

In my classroom we talk about kid writing and adult writing. We encourage kid spelling. We focus on trying to spell our sight words correctly, so maybe choose a sight word to focus on with this child.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
If the word is on the word wall, the child should use that as a resource and spell it correctly. That is a lesson to teach one day... using the word wall when writing. If I notice a word wall word misspelled, I'll have them go back and correct it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Companion

Washington state
1st Grade Teacher
I would hold them accountable for the words they have been taught. Our district has a list of kindergarten words that all incoming first graders should "own." During the first two weeks of school, my first graders will review those words and those words will go up on our word wall. From then on, they should either spell those words right on their own or know how to find them on the wall (and on their mini walls).
As the year goes on and we learn our first grade words, those go up too. Also, any word families we've learned should be spelled correctly too.
So, let's say it's October and I've taught some sight words (ex: my) and word families (ex: -at) and they know their kinder words (ex: mom, I). If a child wrote this:
Mi mom sed i hav a pritee cat.
During a 1:1 writing conference, I would circle the words "mi" and "i" and have her find the correct spelling and fix them. I would praise her for using the -at family for cat and remembering to use uppercase at the start of her sentence.
But I'd ignore "sed" and "hav" and "pritee" because we haven't learned those yet.
Does that make sense? Does anyone else do it like this?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by meglucy View Post
I would hold them accountable for the words they have been taught. Our district has a list of kindergarten words that all incoming first graders should "own." During the first two weeks of school, my first graders will review those words and those words will go up on our word wall. From then on, they should either spell those words right on their own or know how to find them on the wall (and on their mini walls).
I've heard of mini word walls - how does this look in your classroom? I would like to incorporate it but I'm not sure how.

As for the spelling, my grade level does what meglucy suggested. We don't hold them accountable for words they haven't learned yet.

Tags
1st, correct, grader, spelling