A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Just for Laughs

Old 09-27-2003, 01:09 PM

Florida
Big Smile Want a good laugh?

I have a darling little fifth grader in my class. He has been an only child for 10 years. His mom (a nurse) is now pregnant. She and the dad (a doctor) are great parents. But, my student is not too happy about the idea of a sibling.

The other day, we were playing Outburst. The topic for his team was, "Things That Scare Kids". They had come up with lots of responses and there was a lull as they thought hard. Suddenly, the little guy piped up, "Hey, what about the uterus?" There was a silence as I waited to see if he had just confused a word or something .... Then he continued, "You know - that scary place babies come from!!" Needless to say, I cracked up. Think the medical parents have gotten a little too technical? LOL

Old 09-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Companion

That is gorgeous! One of those moments you'll recall for a LONG time.

Just an aside... how do you play Outburst? Sounds fun.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:37 PM

Florida
It is fun. It is a game in a box. There are cards with topics listed at the top and 10 items for that topic. The kids have a minute to come up with as many of the topics as possible. You could make your own. Topics could be things like: Flowers, Halloween Costumes, Things in a Classroom, Things you can See Inside a Car, Disney Movies ....... Kids get to shout out their items. Can be played for as little as 5 minutes and is still fun.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Companion

Sorry to be a pain... do the kids have to try to come up with the 10 items listed under the topic, or just 10 items that match? This sounds great and would be a great revision opportunity.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:35 AM
A to Z Teacher Stuff Owner

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
It's a game you can buy ...
Outburst Junior at Amazon.com

There is a regular Outburst game that adults can play. It's a lot of fun.

If I remember right, there are answers printed on the card and you try to match as many of them as possible. (Upsadaisy, correct me if I'm wrong... I may be mixing it up with another game.)
Old 09-28-2003, 02:34 AM
Comrade

Washington
That's funny! I've got a gem too.

I teach kindergarten and in my PM class is a little guy named Gabe. He's quite a character and quite often gets me laughing. Well the kids were having their center time and he and a friend were playing with the linking cubes. He had started making a gun and shooting noises when I came over and told him he needed to stop, that we aren't allowed to have real guns at school or pretend guns. Without skipping a beat he looked at me and said," And no nuclear bombs either!" (This said with a cute 5 yr. old lisp.)
Old 09-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Companion

One of my best memories is when I was teaching grade 4's the correct terminology for body parts. We got through the female parts all right, but not ONE boy would name the male parts. Finally a girl did, but in the meantime I asked them to tell me what THEY referred to the male parts as. One boy spoke up and I answered, "Yes, I've heard of that... Meat and Veg." The boy stood up and clearly corrected me, "Meat and TWO Veg!!" I assume he was worried that I had missed a potato out of his sausage and potatoes.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:25 AM

Florida
What a riot! Amanda, you are right about the game. Aus, the kids have to name the ten items which appear on the card. We play with teams of 6.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Devotee

Florida
They also have Outburst as a computer game. It makes for a great party game.

(I know.. that was kinda off topic )

Tags
good, laugh