A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Very understandable that not all teachers believe in gift-giving, thanks for taking the time to let me know!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Maven

MICHIGAN
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I would never consider this as a teacher. I just don't think it's polite. But best wishes.
I agree. I feel by sending home a letter that I would be asking for a gift. I have a hard enough time talking up Book Orders so that I can get cheap books for my classroom!
I also don't think my P would be OK with us sending that home.

But, as Just Me said, good luck.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Habitué

Midwest
K-3 Special Education Teacher
I agree with both previous posters. I'm not opposed to giving (or receiving) gifts, but I don't like to ask for them. I would be uncomfortable sending home that letter.

However, with that said, your idea really does sound fairly similar to bridal and baby registries, and those have both been successful. So, why not give it try? Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Alright, so it seems to me that most teachers probably would have a problem with asking for gifts, which is very understandable for me. But seeing it from more of a "donation" stand-point would in my opinion put this thing in a category more like a school fundraiser, or to be seen like the aforementioned bridal or baby registries. The children's parents' are giving more of an "Appreciative donation" do the person who puts in so much effort to teach their kids, while also giving money to help out the school. But still understandable if you see it as uncomfortable to ask for those kinds of things. That's why I came here to ask actual teachers so I could find out first-hand.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Rookie

But also in response to the teachers who said they did regularly receive gifts at certain times of the year, it could be said that if one was planning on giving a gift, gift-giving has been moved online in order to maximize class time, or something along those lines with a link to the website. Do you think that would make it more acceptable?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Connoisseur

Elementary Music
Quote:
Originally Posted by CReed21 View Post
But also in response to the teachers who said they did regularly receive gifts at certain times of the year, it could be said that if one was planning on giving a gift, gift-giving has been moved online in order to maximize class time, or something along those lines with a link to the website. Do you think that would make it more acceptable?
I think if you were going to do this, approaching the parent organization would be best. Most teachers would not be comfortable sending home information about gifts for themself.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Comrade

Student Teacher
This concept sounds similar to Scrip fundraising, which we have at my school. Parents can opt to order scrip cards for Christmas presents. We teachers get told the amount that was given and then can pick which gift cards we want. You might want to look at how this company operates!
http://www.glscrip.com/howscripworks/index.aspx
Old 02-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CReed21 View Post
Thanks so much from the responses from everyone! For those of you wondering what this is for, I have been toying around with a possibly business plan that I will try to explain as best as possible:

I'm beginning to develop a website where teachers from all across the country can establish an account at. Once these teachers have accounts, whenever a holiday or the end of the school year rolls around, they could pass out papers for the kids to take home to their parents which say something along the lines of, "Instead of your child bringing me a gift for this holiday, I would much rather have you visit (Insert website) and give me a small appreciation donation for all the hard work I've done" or something like that.

So the parents go to the site, search your school then find your name and make a small donation up to $25. (And the numbers here aren't exact, but just an estimate for example sake) But 80% of the donated money goes to a teachers account where they can then redeem the money given for gift cards to major places like walmart, school supply stores, massages, or wherever, 15% of the money goes to the school where the teacher teaches, and the last 5% goes to the company to help keep the website afloat, because it's going to have to be a big website. And along with the gift from the family, there will also be the feature for the student to record a short video from a webcam so there's still a sense of personality with the gift.

The reasons I'm thinking of doing this project include:
-As most of you could agree, I think teachers are underpaid. A small gift from students every once in a while to help out could never hurt.
-Also eliminates in-class gift giving, so no student feels embarrassed if they don't bring in a gift for the teacher
-Also helps out the school, with the possibilities of earning upwards of $1000 a year to help it's programs.

Just wanting some response on what you think about this idea! Good? Bad? Let me know if you think you or your school would benefit from this! Thanks!
I would NEVER participate in such a program. I think it's tacky.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarFromHome View Post
I think if you were going to do this, approaching the parent organization would be best. Most teachers would not be comfortable sending home information about gifts for themself.
I agree with this. I am not comfortable with asking for gifts, but often parents and students want to show their appreciation. Asking the parent organization to spread the word makes much more sense.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Novice

Arizona
Student Teacher
1) What grade level do you teach?
I'm student teaching in a 4th grade classroom.

2) What region of the U.S. do you teach in?
Southwest

3) Does your school have a policy about accepting
gifts/presents from your students?
Not that I know of

4) Do you ever receive gifts/presents from students?
I have gotten a couple of small things for Valentine's Day, but I know my mentor teacher says she gets tons of things for Christmas/end of the year

5) If so, what holidays/dates do you receive them?

6) If receiving gifts, would you rather get a material item
or something like a gift card?
Gift Card (or even better a note from my students!)

Tags
mind, quick, survey