A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
Can you talk to some of your faculty members and ask them to keep this confidential? You need to have some references to back you up.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Groupie

California
How about references from your time as a sub?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Cohort

la,ca
Most times references are not contacted until right before the hiring phase.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Comrade

Virginia
Special Education Teacher
I think you should just be upfront about your intentions with your principal. It would be bad for a refrence to call and you haven't told your principal, then it would look shady. I would just politely ask for a reference in an email.

I would tell the principal that I loved working at this school and that the staff was wonderful... and that it is not my intention to offend anybody because I love my job however, I was looking at a potential position because I was offered higher salary wages. (Most people understand wanting to leave to get more money.)

or,

I would tell her that My husband "might" be relocating to another state because he was laid off from his job, so I applied for jobs just in case we have to move.something to that effect. However, I would be upfront and kindly ask for a reference. There is no way around it. Its better to just be upfront. even if you are lying.lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I have a question about references: at what point do they check them; and when do they contact current / previous employers? I had an interview on Friday, and they asked if they had my permission to contact my employer. (I know it's just a legal formality to ask).
Do they check for every applicant, or just the ones they're conisering? I guess I'm trying to figure what is going on, they said it will be about 2 weeks before they let everyone know of their decision.
If they call my P, is that a good sign or it doesn't matter?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Aficionado

Upper Elementary Teacher
Based on two interviewing experiences of mine and going through the process of choosing a teaching candidate with my P...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I have a question about references: at what point do they check them; and when do they contact current / previous employers?
Usually they will check references after they interview a candidate. I don't think most people want to waste their time having to call or email references- it is a time consuming process, especially if they have to play phone tag- for a person they don't really like after interviewing once or twice.

I have heard of people calling before interviews- some people may prefer to know what specific types of questions to ask a person during the interview.

My school recently went through a hiring process for a new principal and I know our headmaster called the candidates' references after they had two interviews.

Quote:
Do they check for every applicant, or just the ones they're conisering? I guess I'm trying to figure what is going on, they said it will be about 2 weeks before they let everyone know of their decision.
If they call my P, is that a good sign or it doesn't matter?
I would take that as a good sign- that they said they will be calling your references. However, I have heard of candidates being told this and after they check with their references and find out the person never called them, it's kind of a sign that they probably did not get the job.

See if you can check with your references over the next couple of days about if they got a call/email from this school you interviewed with. If they do, take that as a very good sign
Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Are you listing yourself as a reference...might as well...you seem to be doing everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
I think falsifying letters of recommendation might be a bad idea.
I did not in any way, shape, or form, suggest falsifying a reference.

I suggested creating a phony address to which a reference request would go, and then intercepting the reference request and replying that the reference would be provided at the appropriate time.

I find it offensive that a number of districts have contacted my wife's current principal and vice-principals for references - when they don't even have a job opening! It betrays an attitude that they don't really care if they make your life miserable at your present job, as long as they can dot another i or cross another t.

In my wife's case it doesn't matter that much since everybody at her school knows she wants to move to the USA anyway. But it could matter for a lot of other people.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post

I suggested creating a phony address to which a reference request would go, and then intercepting the reference request and replying that the reference would be provided at the appropriate time.

I find it offensive that a number of districts have contacted my wife's current principal and vice-principals for references - when they don't even have a job opening! It betrays an attitude that they don't really care if they make your life miserable at your present job, as long as they can dot another i or cross another t.

In my wife's case it doesn't matter that much since everybody at her school knows she wants to move to the USA anyway. But it could matter for a lot of other people.
That might be what you intended, redtop, but I'm afraid it's not the message that your post actually conveyed. And the chances are pretty good that an application that includes a false reference email, even for this relatively benign purpose, will be rejected for knowingly containing false information.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post

Semantics. This would not reflect well upon a candidate's character.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Southeast US
Biology and Environmental Science
i'm almost in this same boat. my husband and i know that we don't want to settle in the town that we're in when we're ready to start our own family. i've been cautiously exploring other school districts in another part of the state, but there's no way in heck i would tell my ap, principal, or district coordinator about it. our school is about to miss ayp again, and it looks like the state will be coming in to run it next year. our principal believes that they intend to fire all of us and make us interview for our positions again. with that being said, i am incredibly wary of giving them any reason to give me the boot early and not let me reapply, but this is a special circumstance. i have taught for two years at this school, but that is all of my teaching experience.

i am luckily participating in a research program where i have a mentor who regularly comes and observes me teach and plans with me that i can use as a reference. i also confided in my biology department (we're all looking to leave), so i can use any of those other teachers as a reference. i'm also still planning on using my adviser from my teaching program and my master teacher from student teaching, since that experience is still fairly recent for me.

i would love to be up front with my ap and principal, but i can't risk loosing my job on an opportunity that might not be there right now (my husband and i would both need to be able to find a job). if it were definite that i was leaving, i would let them know everything that's happening (or if we weren't at risk for getting shut down), because i hate feeling like i'm sneaking around behind anyone's back. i've yet to have a district ask me for recommendations from my ap or principal, but i think i would be honest with them about my circumstances if they asked.

Tags
deal, list, references