A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Missed labs

I've never 100% known what to do about kids who miss labs. In our school kids are taken out of normal education classes to take music (piano, violin, guitar, etc). For example today I did a lab in 6th grade and I had 2 kids leave for the first half of class and 2 for the second half. So they only get part of the lab, come in late, need things explained, etc.

Any ideas about how to handle this? Do I just grade what they have done? What about the kids that miss the lab altogether? They can't stay after to make things up because they ride the buses that leave immediately after school (buses are paid for by parents so the parents would not be okay coming to pick the kid up).

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Is there any kind of study hall or flexible period that the students could come see you? Maybe during lunch?

I always had a lab activity and a missed lab activity. Students could see me to make up the lab (during study hall or before/after school) or students could complete the missed lab activity.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I have my students work in groups, and most of the labs are not required for them to understand the concept, but give them a hands-on way for doing so.

If a student is absent, I require them to simply copy the data their group recorded and complete the data analysis on their own using that data.

I don't usually have them make up lab activities in the sense that we do the lab at lunch. I offer to let them do it however.

If it is a lab practical in which I am assessing a particular skill (like using equipment or finding volume through Archimedes principle or something) I may have them make that up while I observe during lunch.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Thanks for the replies. The problem with lunch time is the kids eat lunch in my classroom (no cafeteria at the school).

I could maybe have them do make-ups during other breaks, but they're short like 10-15 minutes which is not enough time to do the full lab.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Habitu

California
High school biology
I only have my AP students make up labs. They have good attendance anyway, so it's rarely an issue, and they care enough about their grades to arrange to come in after school if necessary. It's just too much of a hassle with the regular biology class to try to do make-up labs.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Fanatic

It depends on the lab. Some labs are too difficult for me to reteach for individual students. Sometimes, like this week, I pick a time for several students to come at once.

In the past I have exempted labs. I have had students do write-ups based on the data others have gathered. I have given alternate assignments. It just depends on what skills I am assessing.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Companion

NY
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
I have my students work in groups, and most of the labs are not required for them to understand the concept, but give them a hands-on way for doing so.

If a student is absent, I require them to simply copy the data their group recorded and complete the data analysis on their own using that data.

I don't usually have them make up lab activities in the sense that we do the lab at lunch. I offer to let them do it however.

If it is a lab practical in which I am assessing a particular skill (like using equipment or finding volume through Archimedes principle or something) I may have them make that up while I observe during lunch.
This is what I do too (also 8th grade science). I require that students "check in" to get an analysis of what happened, as these often show up on tests. This way, they are actually hearing the procedural stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Thanks everyone!

Tags
labs, missed