A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
What teachers really want tell parents

I remember reading this article a year or so ago, but was able to read it differently as a newly credentialed teacher. While I agree with the article for the most part, I'm curious about how parents are supposed to recognize the difference between someone mistreating their kids and a teacher doing their job? I ask this because I was a student who was picked on by teachers. Admittedly, I was a PITA, but I didn't deserve a lot of what came down on me and my mom believed all of it. It felt so unfair and I wish my mom had advocated for me. So how do parents know?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/06/living...nts/index.html

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Great article referring to a great book by Ron Clark. If you haven't read his 3 books, I highly recommend them.

I think parents if they are unsure of a teacher or a school need to get a closer look. Talk with respect to the teacher, and listen while the teacher explains there side of things to find out what is gong on with the child. Get involved with the school and find out what life is really like at the school.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Love the article. I take a proactive approach with families...calling early in the year to welcome them to third grade and say something positive about their children...I send the message in all I say and show to families that I genuinely care about their children and their progress...makes a big difference in their reaction if you do have to call with a concern.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
I would say that it is important to start with trust of the teacher. If a parent starts without the trust it sets a situation for the child which is negative. If a parent discusses the issues or lack of trust or agreement with the teacher in front of their child they are making the child's successful education experience much more challenging. This is due to the way the child reacts in the classroom from hearing the families lack of support for the teachers.

My guess is your mom may not have believed or at least agreed with everything; but she, being the smart mom she was, knew that to announce her frustrations to you would be taking away what little bit of respect you still had for the teachers. This would have caught you in a catch twenty-two that it is hard for a child to get out of.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Great article. I've personally experienced most if those things - except the washcloth mark. I'm also extremely lucky that most of my parents truly want to work with me and help their child. Actually reminds me that I have a good phone call I need to make

Tags
parents, teachers