A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
You don't even know what my perspective is. I know perfectly well what the economy is like. The purpose of a rant is to release emotion and look for support, not have a debate. I think you're in the wrong thread.

OP, are you willing to live with roommates? I moved out on less money than that by living with other people. Unless you live in SF or a similarly pricey city, it's totally doable and not so bad.
Yes... support in the form of a little perspective. What the h- is the point of blind (i.e. stupid) support? I'm offering perspective; if you change your perspective (on looking at a landscape, a work of art, etc.) your view can change (i.e. make things seem not so bad).

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Fanatic

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
We have gone 6 years without a step increase. The district is looking to decrease our salaries for next year. I'm grateful to have a job, but its not going to be covering the bills for much longer.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
I actually feel like my salary is decent. I am able to buy a fairly nice starter home (currently looking). I knew what the salary was when I went into it. I did not really stop to think about what all my expenses would be. However, I'm managing and even save a bit each month. I am lucky in that I don't have any loans whatsoever.

I do start to get a little upset though when I realize BF is making twice as much as me and he's doing something in a field that he didn't even major in, yet that field is growing exponentially so his top potential earnings is SO HIGH especially after he finishes his second bachelors.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpiaffeteach View Post
I do start to get a little upset though when I realize BF is making twice as much as me and he's doing something in a field that he didn't even major in, yet that field is growing exponentially so his top potential earnings is SO HIGH especially after he finishes his second bachelors.
My BF is making more than I'll make after many years as a teacher (assuming they ever unfreeze the steps and I'm able to find a job) and he doesn't have a degree. He's pretty young, too, so his salary will likely continue to grow as he does in his field. He gets to work from home and his job isn't very high pressure. He enjoys it, too. He likes that I'm doing what I'm passionate about, but I don't think he understands what I'm in for financially.

Just to clarify: he IS very skilled, just doesn't have or need a degree.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Guru

When we start comparing it's easy to get frustrated. My husband has a bachelor's degree and is also very skilled, but his job didn't require the degree...it used to it, but they laxed their requirements. I remember my first year he about tripled my salary...he now almost doubles it. And his job is easy. And he gets bonuses. I recall one bonus was $12,000. And that's just comparing two "normal people" jobs...much less the craziness of entertainers and athletes.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Companion

I'm not even a full-time teacher right now, but between subbing and my side job(s), and my wife working a normal retail job, we're saving a decent amount each month.

What I'm most worried about is the future, and I continually second guess my choice of careers because I know at some point she will likely have to be at home (we can't wait to have a kid ...though that waits til a full time job / house), and the costs that come with the kid, etc... Naturally, it doesn't help with my already low confidence level in myself, but I digress. That being said, I absolutely love teaching, and feel it is my calling.

(Our state, from what I have seen in looking up salary schedules, goes from the low/mid 30's at the 0 experience / 0 extra education ... up to the upper 30's or around 40 for some districts for the same step level, where a "time, responsibility, and incentive" stipend is included)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Comrade

California
4th Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I wouldn't be so upset about my low pay--but football coaches make millions per year. Who taught those boys to play fair? Who taught them to take turns? Who taught them to throw a ball? My rant could go on for a couple more hours, but you get the idea.
Maybe I should've been a rapper.

jk
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
These salary threads are always tricky because it's not about income, it's about cost of living. I make more as a first year teacher than many others on these boards have said they make, but if I were single, on my current salary, I wouldn't be able to afford many of the apartments in my region (including the one I currently live in, which is a modest one bedroom in a good, safe area), much less save up for a house.

I'm ok with it - we love southern California and we have always known the cost of living here - but these teacher salary comparison threads are tricky because they just don't translate from state to state.

The OP's $35k might sound average or great to people in other states with lower costs of living, but that salary just doesn't stretch far enough in California, and she is feeling it.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisies View Post
The OP's $35k might sound average or great to people in other states with lower costs of living, but that salary just doesn't stretch far enough in California, and she is feeling it.
So true. Cost of living is very very high here, especially when it comes to housing.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
Cohort

5th Grade Teacher
I bring home $24,000, and I'm in my fifth year. I agree about the cost of living thing, but it kind of sucks because it depends on where you live at. I live in an oil town where crummy apartments in scary parts of town rent for $1,000. Our mortgage is $650 for a 1400 sq. ft. house built in 1982 in a decent neighborhood. However, in a town 45 miles down the highway you can buy a house built within the last 5 years, double the size, for the same amount of money we paid for ours.

I knew what I'd be making going in, so I really don't have anything to say about that. I didn't know how much crap we have to put up with for the amount of compensation we get.

So, I feel your pain. If I were single It would be doable, but I would expect a lot more than "doable" after paying/going to college for 4 years. It's a good thing DH makes decent money. He doesn't have any college, and makes double what I do. I mean, there's that whole element of having to wear a bullet proof vest to work, but still?? J/K

Beth

Tags
rant, salary, teacher, warning