A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityGal606 View Post
I love planning lessons but don't make me design the entire curriculum as well. I get so unsure of myself and worry that I'm off track yet no one wants to admit they're ever unsure about anything at my school. We are so alone when it comes to curriculum and I hate that part of this job.
Just out of curiosity, what subject and grade do you teach? I am a student teacher and I definitely can sympathize with curriculum planning being overwhelming. I feel SO grateful to have had a very organized, cooperative high school teacher who pretty much has all of her curriculum laid out. I'm going to 'steal' as many materials from her as I can!

I am kind of nervous for the first year, but since my old high school teacher has such a great curriculum in place already, hopefully it won't be too stressful. I couldn't imagine trying to plan out everything from scratch.

I am glad to see a lot of you who got un-burned out by switching schools and grades. I sympathize with all the standardized testing though; I feel so fortunate that my area of teaching still doesn't have it

EDIT: One of my professors keeps a 'feel good' binder where she puts letters student have written her, photos, lessons that went really well, etc. i have started doing the same. It helps me when a lesson goes completely wrong, so instead of catastrophizing ("I must be a terrible teacher") I whip out the binder. I realize that I have succeeded in the past and that I can succeed again

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
That is SUCH a good idea. I need to start doing that. Even in my fifth year, I have moments of severe self-doubt.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
Year 10 here, and my goal is to hit at least 15--I came into the profession late, so I'll be close to 65 then. Right now it's still fun most of the time, but when it isn't any more, it will be time to go.

I also keep a "Smiles" folder in my drawer. Any note or card from a student goes in there; I even print out positive emails and tuck those away.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. K. View Post
I also keep a "Smiles" folder in my drawer. Any note or card from a student goes in there; I even print out positive emails and tuck those away.
I do the same thing. It really reminds me that I do make a difference even when it might feel like I don't.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Love the binder idea. Year 19 here...and there are days I wonder how much longer I can do this. However, it is NOT because I have lost interest or detached myself from the students. It is the politics of the board office, and that I care too much.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Groupie

Florida
Whatever my boss asks to me do
I was pretty burned out last year. I had an extremely violent child and in reality got no support. When I got stitches from her, she should have at least been sent home for the day but the parents waved manifestation determination and lawsuit in district's face. Nothing was ever done.

I switched to gen ed this year and it has been so much better. One grade level, actual materials/resources and common planning. I love teaching again.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
I'm feeling very burned out today. Got tons of feedback on how improve a lesson I taught last week. The problem is that the switch to Common Core means I will never teach it again because it isn't going to be part of the curriculum next year. Also, some of the suggestions made today contradict those made previously. Why? Pedagogy shifts faster than I can, sometimes.

Blech.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
Quote:
Are you burned out?
How many years do you think you have left in you?
No. How many years do I have left in me? Well, I can tell that after 34 years it is starting to wind down but I still get excited all the time and still love seeing my kids break through barriers they didn't know theycould. Children are still children and if you treat them right they will respond in kind.
I hope I can do at least six more years. Eight would be better. I tell people my goal is to be the oldest PE teacher in Florida.

Quote:
I have 7 1/2 years left before my 20 years and that worries me because of the pension problems. I know I need to do something to kickstart my heart again with this career because I am definitely burnt out right now but, since I just hit $70,000 this year,
Wow! 13 years and 70k. 34 years here and stuck at 53k the last five years. Need a PE teacher?
As for pensions we get about 49% of the average of our last four years so right now mine is about 26k. Whoop.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Cohort

Upper Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfall View Post
I am "burned out" with the administrative/school politics BS and all of the "reform" based on high stakes testing. The kids, the teaching, the planning, the parents, even the constant assessing/data- not yet.
I agree with the comment on high stakes testing, however I've done this for over 20 years and love every day.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
I love my job right now, but I probably wont do this exact thing for 30+ years. I will remain in education, but I'd like to be a reading coach or something else in the building beyond the classroom.

Tags
burned