A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I'm all for dress codes, but not a uniform code.

Anyone who says khaki pants nd polo shirts look nice obviously hasn't seen me wear either. I don't own either since I look dumpy in both. Polo shirts are seriously bad. I'm very busty, so they never fit right. I also never wear collared shirts because I have a short neck. The collar would touch my earlobes.

The polo & khaki combo is also more casual than I wear to work.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Groupie

Ohio
I would love to have a uniform for work. It would make it so easy. Even if I am busty(which I am), I would still wear a polo shirt if it were the uniform.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
...mostly because they make it hard to judge people based on their clothes and SES status.
Not true.

As to my opinion on teacher uniforms, I would be up for that under certain conditions. I don't tuck, for example. And tapered pants? No, no, no. But a basic polo and your choice of kahkis or something like that, sure.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
1st Grade Teacher
Another no to the polo shirts. They look awful on me, and they aren't warm enough for this climate. I would never be in uniform because I would be freezing!
My other objection to uniforms is that we are professionals, and as such should be treated as professionals and not the hired help. Most jobs that require uniforms require them because normal, every day clothing would be ruined while doing that job(mechanics, fast food employees, etc.) I'm all for a dress code, and we have one here, but no uniforms please!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Nope...not a fan of uniforms for teachers... Sure make the polos or tees and have polo day...but not every day...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Our students have uniforms, and it has been suggested that teachers might go to uniforms. While the uniform shirt they chose appears fine, I like to get more dressed up. I like to wear a nice dress shirt and dress slacks. At least once a week I wear a tie. I feel dressing up is a good thing for those who want to do it. I don't think I should have to dress down just so that we all can look the same.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Habitué

I wouldn't be a fan, despite how much I struggle with putting together "work" outfits. I have a hard enough time finding pants that fit without having to get a specific type.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
I would hate it! I wear skirts/dresses every day (except jeans on Friday). Dress pants just do not fit me. I'm too short for the regular length but too tall for the specific "short" pants. I'm also an "apple" shape so it's really hard to find pants that fit in the waist and don't appear to be 6 sizes too big everywhere else. I gave up on wearing dress pants years ago! As far as polos, I don't really think they're dressy enough for school.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Connoisseur

CA
5th grade teacher
My school has uniforms for the kids (the basic certain colors/no denim type thing, NOT the expensive ones from a uniform company), but teachers don't wear uniforms. I would hate it! I am generally not a clothes person at all, but I actually really love shopping for work clothes, putting together outfits, and wearing nice clothes to work. I would be bored wearing the same thing every day.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Comrade

Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira View Post

But what about uniforms for teachers? I think it would make life so much simpler and it would give the school more of a sense of community. I don't think that they should be super strict, but maybe a polo with the ability to wear accessories or something? I think uniforms could maybe also give teachers a greater sense professionalism.
I think this is an awful idea. I'm an adult, I rather enjoy picking out what I am going to wear each day. It would probably make my life more difficult, actually. The only polos I wear are the couple that I own to play golf, they look terrible on me. I'm extremely petite and pear shaped, so finding professional pants that fit is really difficult. As a result, I wear dresses nearly every single day.

I see nothing wrong with looking cute at work as well. I love raiding the petite department for dresses at stores like Ann Taylor Loft, and the Banana Republic outlet has a GREAT petite section by me (and frequently runs the promotion of 40% off all items). All of my work dresses are an appropriate length, cover my chest, and I wear a cardigan to cover my shoulders. When I get dressed for work and coordinate my outfits, I FEEL professional and as silly as it seems, feel ready to face the day. There isn't any reason that you shouldn't be able to look cute at work and in your personal life, if that is your choice.

Key word: choice.

Plus I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my work wardrobe makes me look more professional than the polo uniform you are suggesting, however, I understand where you are coming from, since some teachers seem to RUN with the lack of dress code.

Tags
teachers, uniforms