A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Rookie

CSET Foreign Languages

Hello,

I plan on taking the CSET tests for Spanish and possibly French. I am confused on how it works for the portion where they record you speaking. Do they take you out of the room one at a time and record you or does everyone stay in the room and have their own proctor? I'm very confused. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I believe these tests tend to be given in university language labs, so the chances are you're sitting in a semi-enclosed space, wearing a headset and speaking into a microphone.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Companion

I took the CSET for Spanish and was confused as to how it would work as well. Basically, we took all other portions of the test (including all subtests you may be taking that day) in a classroom with the other students. Once you finish everything except for the speaking portion, you go one by one into another classroom where a proctor will record you speaking onto a tape recorder. This was my experience anyway. Hope this helps!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Oho, that's how it can be done. Thanks for the heads-up, vivalavida!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Rookie

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalavida View Post
I took the CSET for Spanish and was confused as to how it would work as well. Basically, we took all other portions of the test (including all subtests you may be taking that day) in a classroom with the other students. Once you finish everything except for the speaking portion, you go one by one into another classroom where a proctor will record you speaking onto a tape recorder. This was my experience anyway. Hope this helps!
Yes. This was my experience as well.

Question for vivalavida: did you take subtest V? (bilingual authotization)
If so, I'd love to ask you a few questions about it....
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMaestra View Post
Yes. This was my experience as well.

Question for vivalavida: did you take subtest V? (bilingual authotization)
If so, I'd love to ask you a few questions about it....
I didn't, actually. I did the first three subtests only. Sorry!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Newcomer

Spanish CSET

Hello, I will need to take the CSET in January and need help in getting study material. The so-called study guides online seem to not be reliable and turned to A-Z for help. Could someone who has already prepared and passed the Spanish CSET please share with me what books I should purchase to help me study for the linguistics as well as the literature and history? Thank you so much for the help!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to our bodega, mus51.

A while back, CaliMaestra posted some information at http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...97#post1580997.

Have you ever had a course in linguistics?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM
Newcomer

CSET Prep

Thank you for responding to my inquiry! I so appreciate your welcoming me to "la bodega." I am very excited to be for the first time on a teachers' forum!

You asked me if I know anything about linguistics. Truthfully very little. My major is actually in Music Ed but my foot in the door into every school I have worked in has been my ability to speak Spanish and understand how it works (grammar). I know however that to pass the CSET much more than just knowing the language and how it works is required. That is why I came to this site to look for assistance from people like yourself who clearly have a wealth of information and the willingness to help.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
How are you at the grammatical TERMINOLOGY of Spanish? If you can name parts of speech and phrases and clause or sentence types, you have a good start on syntax; if you know from prefixes and suffixes and roots, you have a good start on morphology; if you know how the sound system of Spanish differs from the sound system of English, and especially if you know what a phoneme is and isn't, you have a good start on phonology; if you can discuss shades of meaning in either language, you have a start on semantics. Your task in learning about linguistics will be to look for the connections between the terms you believe you don't know and what you do already know of either English or Spanish.

How are you generally as a taker of tests?

Tags
cset, foreign, languages