A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
My reading of Peregrin's posts from the outset is that he has been describing a deterioration or poisoning of climate in his current classroom that not only COULD happen but IS happening: he's used indicative verb forms, not conditionals, among other things.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
You mentioned that you're reading a lot of books at the moment and you're trying to mold them into one classroom management plan. I think the best is to just pick 1 or 2, more than that can lead to confusion.

what I think would probably work even better is if you could talk to a very effective teacher at your school. This teacher needs to be someone who you respect as a teacher, the type of control of the classroom and you would like to have, and you already know enough about him/her that you agree with the style.
I would try to pick this teacher's brain: he (let's just stick with he for simplicity) teaches the same kids, or at least the same student population, works for the same administration, has the same resources, has to go with the same policies, etc. This teacher is there to chat with every day for a few minutes (hopefully), you could observe him during your prep, and maybe he could even observe you for a few minutes.

I think you would find it helpful .
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
@TG: That is correct. By the way, day two of consistency for everyone has so far been fairly successful. The student I was having problems with got kicked out of class fairly early in the period, being told to come back when he was ready to follow the classroom rules. I didn't see him back for the rest of the period, but hey, that probably means that he didn't feel ready to follow the classroom rules today. He came back with a substantial enough reflection sheet, for him at least. I think he is beginning towards working at internalizing the consequence instead of blaming me for it. He reached three strikes, he had to leave. It was that simple. The rest of the class climate is slowly improving. But I do need to remember to review my lab rules with them and enforce them consistently as well because I had some students not behaving appropriately during the lab.

@Linguist: I read a lot of books but I'm picking and choosing the meat from the ones I really like only. My favorites currently are Tools for Teaching, and Teaching with Love and Logic. I borrowed one strategy from another book, and some of its mindset, but I'm not really doing too much else with it.

I have also been shadowing my favorite teacher during my preps. She is simply amazing, the things she can do with those kids. She is every student's favorite teacher.

I haven't been doing it every prep of course, but sometimes when I'm not feeling very confident or I even just feel like I need rejuvenation and a reminder of what these students COULD be like, I go to her class.

We've also been working together to improve collaboration among our staff at school which is a huge concern because of the onset of common core. We've set up a Google Docs account so that all the teachers can collaborate online if they don't have time to meet face to face.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM
Habitué

California
High school biology
I used to teach middle school science. Like you, I had a lot of discipline issues. I've been teaching high school for the past few years, and it has been going much better. I'm not sure if that's due to me having more experience under my belt, or if middle school was the wrong level for me. So I guess either things will get better with time, or maybe you should consider switching to high school.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
I used to teach middle school science. Like you, I had a lot of discipline issues. I've been teaching high school for the past few years, and it has been going much better. I'm not sure if that's due to me having more experience under my belt, or if middle school was the wrong level for me. So I guess either things will get better with time, or maybe you should consider switching to high school.
I think discipline issues probably simply come with this age group. I think it will definitely be a valuable experience for me if I come out of it alive. My feelings are, if I can handle 8th graders, I can teach any grade. The experiences of some of my colleagues seem to agree with this sentiment.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Aficionado

USA
Sounds like I may have misinterpreted the conversation, and that this is indeed more of a specific strategy related to this situation, so we're probably all on the same page then.

Peregrin, great idea to shadow a teacher, and again - definitely shows your commitment.

Also great to hear the strategies are working. Definitely a good thing if a the student is internalizing responsibility for behavior and related consequences...

Tags
inconsistent