A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Habitué

5th Grade Teacher
They still don't like me, my class, whatever

I started a thread *kind* of like this a month or so ago. It's really starting to bug me, though.

Today my partner teacher and I switched classes later than usual. When I told my kids that, there was some quiet sighing and a couple of "ughs" coming from them. Really??? What am I doing so wrong??? I don't know if it's "me" they don't like or my class or what. I am afraid if they don't like me or my class, they won't be inclined to try really hard on the test. I've always been inclined to work harder for someone I liked and admired.

I feel like I have a good relationship with my kids. I mean, I send positive notes home for them to give to their parents, I've text a couple of parents to tell them their kids are doing better with their behavior, stuff like that.

Should I ask my kids what could be done differently?? Am I just being too sensitive about this whole thing????

Beth

Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
You're not doing anything wrong. Let it go.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Habitué

Yes, too sensitive. They're fifth graders, they have a very warped view of what makes a "good" teacher.

Just today I covered the last 10 minutes of my co-teacher's class (she teaches one period without me) so she could go to a doctor's appointment. As I walk into the room, multiple students greet me. One student in particular announces loudly, "MRS. CO-TEACHER! DON'T LEEEEAAAVVVEEE!" as if I'm some sort of leper that will infect the whole class. I think it happens to everyone, even the best teachers. Not everyone will be a fan of what you do, and that's OK.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella2010 View Post
I started a thread *kind* of like this a month or so ago. It's really starting to bug me, though.

Today my partner teacher and I switched classes later than usual. When I told my kids that, there was some quiet sighing and a couple of "ughs" coming from them. Really??? What am I doing so wrong??? I don't know if it's "me" they don't like or my class or what. I am afraid if they don't like me or my class, they won't be inclined to try really hard on the test. I've always been inclined to work harder for someone I liked and admired.

I feel like I have a good relationship with my kids. I mean, I send positive notes home for them to give to their parents, I've text a couple of parents to tell them their kids are doing better with their behavior, stuff like that.

Should I ask my kids what could be done differently?? Am I just being too sensitive about this whole thing????

Beth

Bella,

What are you doing wrong?...nothing! This age there sometimes is a "coolness" with complaining and being brave enough to do so in front of the teacher. Notice carefully what you said--there were a couple of "ughs". Most of the others didn't participate. Some 5th grade classes have leaders who are negative. I don't have that this year, but I have in a past year. They act exactly as you describe. Believe it or not...it has nothing to do with you.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Novice

Maryland
4th Grade Teacher
Definitely do not ask your class what you're doing wrong. You're the teacher, right? And right or wrong, you're the leader in that classroom, and your students need to respect your authority no matter what age they are. Sometimes they just need to "suck it up"and move on. When did everyone decide it was their God-given right to comment on every little thing? Shame on our rudeness as a society.

This year I am teaching a group that sounds like your class. It's a drag to deal with their nonsense on a daily basis, but I am determined to do what I know is best for them, even if it takes my last ounce of energy. Mouthing off is totally unacceptable and those who try it face consequences. I really don't care if they like me or not because I AM THE TEACHER, and I'm not there to win first place in the popularity parade.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast

USA
Elementary
I absolutely don't take any kind of crap from my kiddos and guess what? they actually like me.....a lot! Kids WANT and need an authority figure who they view to be fair, consistent, and reliable. No one likes wishy washy. Tighten up the reigns and stop worry about what the kids think about you. You are their leader and you must show them that they can count on you. Make sure you also give them the respect of acknowledging that they have the right to have classroom jobs (Praise them for jobs well done and hold them accountable to do those jobs all year and do them well!!!)and the right to learn in a calm and nurturing environment. They will learn to value authority and have pride in themselves for pleasing that authority figure. BTW..I don't do any of the daily upkeep work or managing of procedures. My 5th graders help sail the ship but I am stil the master and they know it!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I felt like that with some of my 5th grade kiddos. Many of them have contacted me years later saying how much they missed me, so you never really know.
This year, I switched mid year. Every time I see any of my former kids in the hall, they run to hug me and tell me how much they miss me. Even the ones that I am fairly certain were doing the happy dance inside when I announced the change!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Habitué

5th Grade Teacher
Thank to all of you for the the kind words. I greatly appreciate them. I realize now that I sounded like a whiny middle schooler with this thread, lol. It's been a long week.

Thanks again!

Beth
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Novice

Maryland
4th Grade Teacher
You aren't a whiny middle schooler! You're just a teacher in the doldrums between Christmas and Easter breaks. Sometimes we all need some reassurance, and at times we need more than just a pat on the back. This is a good place to unburden yourself because we're all in the same boat. So, pull up that anchor, captain that fifth grade ship, and sail through the day into a well-deserved weekend.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
When I was an 8th grader, I was selected to read a speech for our graduation. In my speech I gave thanks to each of our 8th grade teachers. Each time I said a teachers name, all my classmates would jump to their feet to clap and cheer.

Then when I gave a thanks to Mrs. <English Teacher> you could have heard a pin drop. Then there were a couple boos. Her face turned RED and she didn't return the next school year.

Another time we had a teacher who the kids bullied mercilessly. I remember she left mid-year because they kept saying that she smelled bad. (honest to God, if she did I NEVER smelled anything foul on that woman).

Looking back, I actually liked both of those teachers and hated that other kids picked on them, but I was scared to defend them because -

1. It's not cool to "like" school and your teacher

2. Defending your teacher against the couple obnoxious "class leaders" will get you called a teacher's pet

3. A common enemy unites people

4. I didn't want the wrath of the obnoxious class leaders turning on me

I know it's hard, but try not to take it personal and keep in mind that there are probably times when you aren't thrilled to teach or see your students. You (if you're like me) probably even complain about them to your friends, family, coworkers, etc. But that doesn't mean you don't like them.

There might be one, two, or even three that don't like you and it hurts, but the majority of kids aren't like that. They're just going with the flow.

Tags
class