A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Newcomer

HOw to deal with having no references to list

Hello,
I am wanting to apply for a job in another state but do not want my current P to know I am looking yet. The application asks for referencs that are current P/employers that know your teaching. How would you handle this. I am at an "at will" school and teachers have been let go for less than this. But I really want to apply for this. Before this current position I was a stay at home mom and then a sub for only a couple months.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 PM
Multitudinous

I think that you need to find some references. It might be time for a heart-to-heart with your principal and let him or her know that you're looking.

As a last resort, you could list references as "available upon request" and then let your potential employer know about the situation.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
In my district, they call references after interviews as we have so many reumes submitted for openings that there's no way to call all references ahead of time. In that case, the question of why the candidate is looking to change jobs usually comes up in the interview giving the opportunity to explain that your current school doesnt know you're looking...most schools are respectful of candidates requests that current administration not be called ahead of hiring.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Unfortunately most (or maybe even all) job postings require 2 or 3 letters of recommendation, and without them the application is considered incomplete.
Could you maybe use 1 or 2 teachers from your school as reference? Teachers who do have knowledge of your teaching skills. It's not best, but better than nothing.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
Most of the applications I have filled out for my wife ask for references, and a number of them later show that the reference was returned. In other words, they go ahead and ask for the reference without any further permission.

I personally think it's ridiculous but what do I know?

You could create phony email addresses for them, and then reply yourself saying that you aren't comfortable giving the reference until after an interview. And if the prospective employer won't accept that, **** 'em.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Devotee

SoCal
High School English
I think falsifying letters of recommendation might be a bad idea.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post
Most of the applications I have filled out for my wife ask for references, and a number of them later show that the reference was returned. In other words, they go ahead and ask for the reference without any further permission.

I personally think it's ridiculous but what do I know?

You could create phony email addresses for them, and then reply yourself saying that you aren't comfortable giving the reference until after an interview. And if the prospective employer won't accept that, **** 'em.
Are you listing yourself as a reference...might as well...you seem to be doing everything else.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtop View Post

PLEASE do not take this advice!!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
PLEASE do not take this advice!!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
When I was applying for jobs in Costa Rica while still working in the USA I simply wrote "please do not contact until such and such date as it may compromise my current position" That worked fine for me.

Tags
deal, list, references