A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
You've given yourself a month, KATeach: that's a good start. Wikipedia is your friend (and if you're nervous about it being open source, access it via Answers.com).

I regret profoundly that Christina Myers-Schaffer's The Principles of Literature seems to have gone out of print, but if you can find it used, it might serve you very well.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Newcomer

Indiana
I will be teaching SPED/English
Thanks so much TeacherGroupie! I found the Myers-Schaffer's book on Amazon (my new friend) for ONE CENT plus shipping under five bucks total!

Heading for Wiki and in a month I will have the results!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Newcomer

Indiana
I will be teaching SPED/English
update...

drum roll please......... NAILED IT!!!
Not going to say it was easy, but all the resources recommended were of GREAT benefit. As test time grew close, I didn't have as much time as I wanted to read the summaries (Sparks Notes Lit 101), but because I organized my reading using the Cliff Notes Prep Book, I could match some of the authors/books. (imagine that!) The Principles of Lit (Myers-Shaffer) was especially good for the poetry/prose information.

I have another Praxis 4/13 that I'm going for a perfect score on, but after that I'm going through the Lit 101 book.

Thanks for the assistance and motivation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATeach View Post
Hello everyone!

I have gone through all 46 pages (whew) and picked up some great advice. I'm taking the Praxis II 0041 on 3/14. Haven't had an English class in 11 years and haven't had a Lit. class since high school. (breathing) Yes, I'm overwhelmed and wondering if this is all too much!! I'm most challenged in the Lit. department as well as Rhetoric. I'm ready to devote 2 hours on the weekdays and 8 hours Saturday and Sunday.

Now I just need a strategy ....suggestions?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Newcomer

Ohio
Does anyone have any word document or internet resources that have summaries of literary works? I am taking the Praxis 0041 in two weeks and am starting to feel unprepared, despite studying multiple hours a day. I took the practice test on the ETS site and I scored really well (an 80% I believe,) but I know I can never be too prepared.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Newcomer

Substitute Teacher
I am taking the Praxis II 5041 is there any specific reading material that are a must have. Any tips? I was told I should by A Glossary of Literary Terms by M.H. Abrams
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Newcomer

California
Preschool Teacher
HI!!

I am so glad to have found this website. I have only gone through half the posts and am feeling better prepared to take my test. I am looking to take 2 at a time and was wondering which I should pair up. I am not an English major but have always done well in the subject.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, ametag.

How to pair up the subtests can differ from one test taker to the next: there's no right pairing.

Some test takers like to combine one multiple choice subtest with one constructed response subtest; in that case, Subtests I and III pair pretty naturally, because they cover the same domains (literary and nonliterary analysis plus composition and rhetoric); Subtests II and IV have somewhat less in common, though each does touch on argumentation and logic.

Other test takers like to lump the multiple choice subtests together and the constructed response subtests together; my one hesitation with that is that Subtest III features two of the CSET program's longest written responses at 300 to 600 words each; the Subtest IV responses are shorter, but there are still four, and the combination can be rather hard on one's writing hand. But test takers do combine the two successfully.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Newcomer

San Diego
Future Teacher
I've been doing research on how to study for this CSET! Can't wait to totally take advantage of the resources! Wanted to avoid the Cliff Notes books because I used one for my MS CSET and felt like it didn't have enough content...and this test is definitely a bigger deal than the other! Thank you for posting all of that information!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Newcomer

San Diego
Future Teacher
so i'm hoping this forum isn't totally dead and can pull advice/info from people!

looking at the content breakdown, the first part of subtest II asks "recognize nature of human language, differences among languages, universality of linguistic structures, and change across time, locale, and communities." the study book i have doesn't provide much info on the first 3 parts and i don't see that it is covered on the study guides included on this thread.

does anyone have any suggestions on study material that provides the info?

thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Newcomer

Any prospective future teachers in San Diego?

I'm looking for a study partner in the San Diego area for the CSET English. I have several great study guides, willing to share.

Tags
elmer, english, resources