A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Companion

NJ
Preschool Teacher
Soap for Hand-washing

I'm in a public school which has TERRIBLE soap dispensers for Pre-K. At least once a week, someone gets his or her finger pinched or caught as they push the lever to dispense the soap. Plus the school only has antibacterial soap, which I hate, and it is VERY drying, especially with the number of times we have to wash hands during the day.

What is your soap system for hand-washing?

Anyone have a mounted pump that they love, which has a moisturizing soap refill available?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
I have the regular dispensers that I buy at the grocery store and refill them with cheap stuff from the dollar store.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
WE just had automatic wall soap dispensers installed that seem really nice. No waste or mess and the soap comes out like a little pile of shaving cream!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Teacher View Post
WE just had automatic wall soap dispensers installed that seem really nice. No waste or mess and the soap comes out like a little pile of shaving cream!
Mines like this.

Before we had these, I bought pump soap dispensers at the dollar store or had parents send in.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Devotee

New York
We have the great pumps where the soap comes out like a little pile of shaving cream, too... Unfortunately some genius installed them on the wall behind the sink. Many of my children can't even reach the faucet handles, much less the school-provided soap. I explain this to parents at Open House and then enlist their help in providing soap for the children. I take donations of the little pumps or big refills. And since the parents are providing it, I will use virtually anything they send in. I'd love to be more specific in what the kids use, but I can't afford to buy them soap on top of everything else.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
No soap advice, but I keep a big bottle of hypoallergenic, non-scented hand lotion in my room for the kids. Our soap at school is pretty hard on the hands, as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Fanatic

Somewhere in the good ole USA!
our school provides a nice foamy soap that the kids love.

"They may not remember what you taught them, but they'll remember how you made them feel".

Sandra
Old 02-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
We used the foam soap in the method dispensers available at the store. Then when that ran out, we refilled them with 2 tsp of dishsoap and water from the tap. Each dispenser lasted about 6 months. And I provided lotion.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Companion

NJ
Preschool Teacher
Wow, these children loooove soap...

I bought two bottles of moisturizing soap at the dollar store last weekend and both were used up. I should just turn my classroom sink into a water table (if only we didn't need it for other uses).

We do get some supply money to order for next year so I think that I will put in an order for the auto version of my dispenser and some moisturizing refills instead of what the school supplies.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Soap and water was honestly my go to sensory table item in the winter. Change it a couple of times a day and didn't put cups in that had real bottoms. Some drinkers but not many. Kids love soap and water....and foamy soap.....the best!

Tags
handwashing, soap