A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Florida
Preschool Teacher
Preschool job

I am going to be getting my bachelors degree in Preschool Education in May. Once I graduate, should I look to work in a private school or a public school. What type of setting is less stressful? All I want is to teach and educate the children.

Thank you for your input,

Heather

Old 02-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Look for one that reflects your phylosphy and pays the most.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Stress is not necessarily dependent on whether your school is private or public. Regardless of setting, the responsibilities of a professional educator include much more than 'teaching'.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Companion

Long Island and CT
Preschool Teacher
Since you live in Florida look on their teaching website and just apply to ever job you can! My advice is to stay away from the day care scene and focus on schools that offer programs for ages 3 and up. My goal is to get into a school district but if you can't get experience under your belt and try again for the next school year. good luck!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Novice

Florida
I live in Florida too and I will be getting my bachelor's next year, however, I have an associate's degree in early childhood right now and I was just hired as a VPK teacher in a preschool. I agree with Blue though. Find a school that reflects your philosophy! However, education is a very stressful field regardless of what setting you go to. Each has its ups and downs. Since you can teach up to age 4, I'd definitely suggest that you look into VPK or pre-kindergarten in public school setting because at least you will be on the same pay scale as the other teachers in your school and county.

I have noticed that a lot more schools are looking for teachers who have multiple certifications. Preschool Education is a tough degree because it is so limited. I am majoring in early childhood education, which allows me to teach from age 3 to third grade and that is still viewed as a limited degree (at least in my area) as oppose to an elementary education, ESOL, or special education degree.

I highly suggest that you take the FTCE SAE exam for early childhood or at least ESOL or special education because at least you will be more marketable unless preschool jobs in public/private schools are abundant in your area.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Florida
Preschool Teacher
Thank you for all the input, I am thinking about taking the age 3-grade certification too.

Tags
job, preschool