A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Debate & Marathon Threads Archive

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Connoisseur

U.S.
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCeliaB View Post
I don't understand what was offensive about that. It's a common interpretation of religious texts.
agreed. Overall I wasn't exactly sure how to interpret it though.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Connoisseur

U.S.
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdave View Post
The golden rule is not really of biblical origin: 'Treat others as you wish to be treated,' can be traced as far back as 1800 BC - before most major religions of today but was used as a part of those religions - in the Code of Hammurabi and as well as notably taught by Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC).
Here is the bible's version:
Matthew 7 v12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Luke 6 v31
And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin
What is in the bible:
Jude 23
Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives. (NLT)
Good verses.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTeachesMath View Post
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/1...ve-no-purpose/

Here. A video interview.

This is seriously disgusting.
Good video
it showed that some people believe that it is all right to be bigoted (shakes head ) to say they have no purpose OMG makes me sad that a Christian said that!

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
I am with Dave on this. I don't have a problem with people standing up for what they believe. I do have a problem with anytime a Christian stands against a belief that they feel is against the Bible, they get attacked by others. If it is ok for gays to speak out, why isn't it ok for anti-gays to speak out? Doesn't freedom of speech cover everyone?
I agree with Dave and mrachelle on this point. It seems like any time a minority groups speaks out again the majority, it's freedom of speech, but when it's the other way around, it's a 'hate speech'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physteach View Post
The thing is, what most "Christians" who are anti-gay express is considered "hate speech" in most places. For a religion that talks a lot about Jesus (of "Love thy neighbor" and Golden Rule fame), this seems hypocritical.
There are bad apples in any religion, profession, group, etc. And like other groups, Christians get a bad name because of the ones that speak out again this using hate speeches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmebob View Post
agreed. Overall I wasn't exactly sure how to interpret it though.
I didn't think it was that offensive either. Dave was just stating his (and others) interpretation of why homosexuality was considered a sin in the Bible.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
Quote:
I have read numerous "legit" new articles and I have watched her interview. I wouldn't want this woman anywhere near my children if I had any. She does not teach at that school. In fact, none of the schools in that district, nor private schools in the area, list her on their faculty. She teaches in an entirely different school district. No matter where she teaches, I would not want a teacher in a classroom who honestly feels that her gay students have no purpose, or in any way equates being gay with being in special ed, or seeing either of those things as a choice.
What I saw was a woman who does not know how to use an analogy without putting her foot in her mouth!

I hope no one closes this thread because it has been quit educational, thanks Mike for the video.
(BTW Oswego Beat Fredonia in Hocky this weekend)

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Quote:
I don't understand what was offensive about that. It's a common interpretation of religious texts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdave View Post
Why?
Because you likened sickness and disease to being homosexual.

Also, those religious texts offend me period. So I think the thread should be closed because these freaking conversations always start and never go anywhere.

I don't even know why I'm responding. This board can be so frustrating at times.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrachelle87 View Post
I am sorry, but I don't see what her profession has to do with this. I am assuming she is a mother and that is why she is involved. But no where in the editoral..and it is an editoral, not a legit news article...does it talk about why she became involved. I work with lovely wonderful teachers who don't agree with homosexuality...that doesn't come into play in their classroom. NO ONE in this editoral or any of the comments gave proof that this effects her classroom. I have issue with parents walking around with manicures and pedicures that I know cost $40 or so a week while their children come to school dirty and with shoes with holes in them. That does not effect how I teach their child...in fact, if anything it makes me care more for the child.

BTW, if you go to a legit news source and read the story, no where in it does it say she teaches at that school.
I believe it does come into play in the classroom. If a teacher actively disapproves of a student's race, religion, or lifestyle, any human being can tell by body language and silent animosity that that teacher doesn't care for them, even if they don't say it out loud.

That teacher is likely to afford less chances for success to students who are LGBT. It would be similar to the stories of psychologists who won't treat LGBT patients or will only advise them to go to ex-gay therapy because they believe it is within their rights to do so.

Now I don't agree with her views. However, I don't see what the problem would be of creating her own private little prom with just anti-gay Christians. As I said, they aren't bothering others, I don't see why we should care.

However I do think it is very sad, and says a lot about the person who can't accept others. Especially for someone who is a teacher and we put our children into their care.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
This thread has run its course and too much more discussion will probably be detrimental to the camaraderie we share in this group.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
Because you likened sickness and disease to being homosexual.

Also, those religious texts offend me period. So I think the thread should be closed because these freaking conversations always start and never go anywhere.

I don't even know why I'm responding. This board can be so frustrating at times.
That's not what he said at all. He said that similar to the way that rules banning the eating of certain food came from a practical health need, the rules banning homosexual relationships came from a practical need to ensure larger populations. Types of food led to sickness and disease. Increase in homosexual relationships could lead to reduction of birth rate. The two are only related in that many people have theorized that prohibitions in religions come from problems with society.

Tags
create, nonlgbt, prom, seeks, teacher