A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > Library/Media Teachers

Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Newcomer

New Zealand
Wink Promoting the primary school library

I've just been given a management unit and my role it to 'showcase' and promote the school library. It has all been redone so looks good and now the principal wants it to be a fully functioning and well-used place. My ideas so far are to have regular and changed displays of children's work there. Also children can come in at lunchtime and play games and read. I thought maybe have set lesson plans to follow during class library sessions. Any ideas anyone?? Please!!??

Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 AM
Guru

You don't teach lessons currently? What do you students do currently when they come to the library and how often and for how long do they come?

If they come in during lunch will there be someone to supervise if you are teaching the class? If so, what about a lunchtime book club? Some have called it the "lunch bunch" and give a bookmark each meeting that asks the students a question about what they read the night or nights before. All the students would read the same book and then discuss it during lunch. This would be good for the older primary kids, anyway.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Our librarian offers storytimes for the younger grades. These usually correlate with our theme of the week. Our librarian is great about building in comprehension strategies as well. This is on top of our regular library check out time.

For our older grades, the librarian does mini lessons on a variety of topics: dewey decimal system, genres, how to choose a book, comprehension strategies...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Newcomer

New Zealand
I like the lunch bunch idea! I am not sure exactly what teachers do during library sessions as I job share and library isn't on one of my days. I have a feeling most teachers just return and issue books.

Tags
library, primary, promoting, school