A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Debate & Marathon Threads Archive

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Teacher seeks to create a non-LGBT prom

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...13/02/11/60218

Hmmm. I just saw this story today. A teacher and a group of students and parents want to create a non-GLBT prom (apart from the regular prom) that just people who don't agree with GLBT people would go to.

It's certainly a different way of going about it. Normally folk like this try to keep the mainstream events to themselves, but now they're just going out and forming their own special prom for themselves.

I don't really know my stance on this, because this means that the normal kids won't have to deal with the ridiculous folks any longer at the regular prom.

However I am very sad and disappointed that a teacher like the one mentioned in that story would be that hateful of her own students.

Of course the non-GLBT group has framed it as "We're standing up for what we believe in." (Which is apparently segregation and discrimination of GLBT folks and straight folks.)

Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Devotee

SoCal
High School English
I think it's terrible that a teacher would sponsor an event as discriminating as this. If a parent wants to step up and help students do something like this on private property and without advertising it at the school, then fine. But to promote this on campus is terrible.

And "ridiculous" behavior at prom is not limited to LGBT students.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post

And "ridiculous" behavior at prom is not limited to LGBT students.
I think by ridiculous he meant the students who are discriminating against the LGBT students.

Yeah, this is awful.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
It's like Footloose in Bizarro World. Sad that people feel they have to use the grown-up equivalent of cootie spray. If you don't approve of a certain type of relationship, don't have that kind of relationship. I didn't approve of cohabitation before engagement... for myself. Everyone else, live by your own morals.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Arizona
Retired middle school shop teacher
Let me play the devil's advocate

If A teacher, a group of students and parents wanted to create a GLBT prom (apart from the regular prom) that just people who agree with GLBT people would go to.

Would we be as outraged? Would it not be segregation also?

One thing is you can't change somethings, there will always be anti-GLBT people do to religion and other society norms (but it is changing). My advice to them just don't go to the prom.

BUT Prom is a "sacred" event to high schoolers. Should a student not go because of a feeling uncomfortable because there are a "bunch of gays" at the prom? That is the same as someone not going because of feeling uncomfortable around straights.

I'm A Curmudgeon with Panache
Grandpa: The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Retired Shop teacher, 35 years
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
LGBT proms have been launched, Dave - but typically after it had been made terribly clear that LGBT couples were unwelcome at the official prom. I doubt there's ever been an LGBT prom, however, from which straights were pointedly excluded.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdave View Post
Let me play the devil's advocate

If A teacher, a group of students and parents wanted to create a GLBT prom (apart from the regular prom) that just people who agree with GLBT people would go to.

Would we be as outraged? Would it not be segregation also?
LGBT proms have been around, but the difference is that these proms are not created because they disagree with "straight" proms, or that they feel they are morally superior.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Fanatic

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdave View Post

One thing is you can't change somethings, there will always be anti-GLBT people do to religion and other society norms (but it is changing). My advice to them just don't go to the prom.
You are probably right. There will always be some who are anti-gay, just like there are those who are anti-semitic, or believe that African Americans should still be enslaved.

This is not sarcasm. They really do exist. But just as with these groups, I assume that after a while, the influence of anti-gay groups will diminish to nearly nothing after a while, and will be seen as crazy outliers of the mainstream social view.

And it's possible that there have been some LGBT proms that exclude straight folks. There may not be as much outcry about them because in general, straight folk don't tend to want to attend these things if they're straight. But I think the majority of LGBT proms are pretty welcoming to folks of all kind.

Just as I think that there is a majority of Christian churches that are actually non-demeaning towards gay people, and actually learning to be welcoming. Right now, it may not be an overwhelming majority, but a lot of Christian churches I've visited say that gay people are always welcome to attend and that they won't try to change them.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Fanatic

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
I think by ridiculous he meant the students who are discriminating against the LGBT students.

Yeah, this is awful.
And, yeah, I meant the people being discriminatory. It wasn't clear. Sorry. xP
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
The difference is that straight people would probably be more than welcome to attend an LGBT dance or party. I've been to several events that were in the LGBT community and have been welcomed, even when I was the only straight female with a group of heavily bearded "bears" at a silent auction and buffet. The reverse would simply not be as inviting.

Tags
create, nonlgbt, prom, seeks, teacher