A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
So what else can someone with an education degree do besides teach?

I know this is an age old question, but i'd love a straight answer. While i definitely want to get a teaching job, even I realize that I can't put all my eggs in one basket, and will need a full time job at some point besides subbing and working part time at a grocery store

So what am I qualified to do with an education degree besides teach? The market is really tough where I live (i'm in Nebraska btw). I have looked at other nearby states since i want to be close to family, but the market is a lot like it is here. I have applied to many different kinds of jobs and have received interviews for an HR position, an office job at State Farm Insurance, and a lot of call center jobs since I worked in a call center in high school.

However, i'd like something with at least liveable pay (not too much, if I only make 25,000 it's okay) and work in a team type office setting, or be able to work with people in a social services type job. So is there anything I can do besides teach, because even though I love teaching, I don't want to wait forever to get a social studies job

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
I know this is an age old question, but i'd love a straight answer. While i definitely want to get a teaching job, even I realize that I can't put all my eggs in one basket, and will need a full time job at some point besides subbing and working part time at a grocery store

So what am I qualified to do with an education degree besides teach? The market is really tough where I live (i'm in Nebraska btw). I have looked at other nearby states since i want to be close to family, but the market is a lot like it is here. I have applied to many different kinds of jobs and have received interviews for an HR position, an office job at State Farm Insurance, and a lot of call center jobs since I worked in a call center in high school.

However, i'd like something with at least liveable pay (not too much, if I only make 25,000 it's okay) and work in a team type office setting, or be able to work with people in a social services type job. So is there anything I can do besides teach, because even though I love teaching, I don't want to wait forever to get a social studies job
If you happen to be good at math, take and pass a couple of actuarial exams.

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, I know some people think I am (and they're probably right).

There are other, less rigorous certificates you can get in insurance, look at the Insurance Institute of America.

Nobody ever went to university to get a degree in underwriting. But there are a lof of them out there.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Comrade

NJ
There are several jobs you can get and the only requirement is a bachelors. I was at a company for a long time while job searching and I worked in the customer service department of a company. They required a bachelors degree only and asked that you had some customer service experience. I had very little customer experience, but I worked as a waitress a long time ago and they counted that. The salary was really good and I had full benefits.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
You could look for training jobs as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I know Kroger hires co-managers with any 4 year degree. Check out the grocery chains near you.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
I know Kroger hires co-managers with any 4 year degree. Check out the grocery chains near you.
This is actually the most promising. I work part time at a grocery store not far from where I live. Its part of the Hy-Vee chain, and from what I can tell they accept most anyone with a four year degree,and in some places even two (most of those where I work have two year degrees). I figured that this might be a path for me
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Multitudinous

How long have you been looking for teaching jobs?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
One year, though i'm applying to a masters program where i'd get to teach in a catholic school in my state, while earning my masters. there are also religious requirements that are a part of it (living in community etc) so I was attracted because of my beliefs and want of a masters degree.

I didn't mention but i'm a 23 year old recent graduate, so its been tough finding jobs, and I just want to find one full time job thats decent even if it isn't teaching.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
If you're convincing enough you can get a job doing anything.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Yeah, i'm not exactly a convincing person. I'm just an average guy who thinks he'd be a good teacher. Of course no one cares because i have no experience other than subbing to base it on

Tags
degree, education, teach