A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
I think it stifles creativity.
I couldn't agree more. If I lost the rights to distribute my work as I choose then I would stop creating new lessons. If I stopped creating new lessons I'd quit my job.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Habitué

What do I think? WHAT DO I THINK??? I think it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! God, what is the world coming to?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
I create a lot of materials at home on my own time so I definitely do not agree with this.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
If this happened in my district, I just wouldn't create anything for my students. We'd only use materials that were created by the textbook company. Sad, probably not what's best for students, but necessary.
Or you could say "Oh, I created this on the side for my brother-in-law. Not for the school. Just happened to bring it in today..."
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
If they REALLY want to own all of my lesson materials, they can come to my classroom, go through ALLLLL my files and make a copy every darned thing on their own time. Meanwhile I'll be sure to have backup electronic copies at home.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Comrade

CA
Special Education Teacher
I once went to a "training" offered by my district. The presenter had us choose different standards from the common core standards and write lesson plans for them. I'm thinking, okay, we'll write them up and then we'll get feedback and/or discuss how to improve from there. As the day went on, things just seemed... off. I finally figured out that he was going to collect our work, put it together, and publish it as a resource for other teachers! All without telling us! Needless to say, my motivation and effort stopped at that point.

I think I would've given some effort if a) he had told us this up front and b) he would include our names as contributors.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
That's not appropriate, Rox. I hope you ratted him out to whoever at the district engages presenters.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
Think of the websites that exist where teachers can share their materials with other teachers, some for free, some for a price. As a new teacher, I have enjoyed using these sites for ideas or to outright grab the material to use. Some teachers are doing quite well with selling their materials; this would end if the districts own the materials.

I agree, this would definitely hurt creativity, there is no motivation to create materials if they just go somewhere else.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Could they even do that if it isn't in their contract?

As for student work, they are not employees, so the district should have no ownership.

I'm also on the fence of the legality of some of it. Technically, we are salary. But, if the materials are created at home, outside of contract hours, could they legally 'own' them?

Obviously not a fan! Well, unless I get a pay raise for my efforts!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Would this mean that teachers can't use lesson plans they created if they were to change schools or districts?

Tags
board, created, materials, school, seeks, student, teacher