A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
1) While she took history as a teaching subject in her educational programs, while she teaches history in Canada, and while she is licensed to teach history in North Carolina, I don't think I'd want her teaching history. She certainly doesn't know U.S. history well enough to teach it.
2) Kinda scary if a 163 (minimum passing) on the Praxis is considered the same as a 200. (Not that she got a 200.)
3) I'm not sure there is any company that is accepted for these credential evaulations in all 50 states.
4) If she does not move to the USA, at some point she will lose her green card. Then where are we when I move back to the USA?
5) Even states with a "reciprocity" agreement have some strings. One state appears to require you to have a foreign credentials evaluation service say "Yes, this really is a bachelors in education that qualifies you to teach" and then send a form to your school that they stamp and emoboss and all that **** that says "Yes, this really is a bachelors in education that qualifies you to teach."
6) I am just waiting for a state to turn her down because she doesn't submit the verification of teaching experience on their form, when her school district has a policy that they don't fill out those forms, but rather, will just give you a letter (which we have) that says "Mrs. Redtop has been employed at Central High School as a teacher on a full-time contract since September, 1932."
7) I don't really mind that much if they want to verify her credentials, I mind that it has to be a company on their list. I mean, yes, the average hiring manager in a U.S. school will probably get hopelessly confused at the Canadian practice of having more courses be a full year and not having semester grades. But does it take two different "authorities" to figure that out?

Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
As to why it has to be a company on the state's list, that's understandable: people have been known to falsify a fairly wide range of certifications and diplomas from an astonishing array of sources. A state can't hope to eliminate quite all of those by directing applicants to companies with which it has some experience, but it's a way at least to reduce the likelihood that the company is an active participant in the scam.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
If you score really well on a Praxis, your report has the notation, "Your score on this test qualifies for ETS recognition of excellence." I'm not sure if that's top 5% or 2%, but not all passing scores are equal.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
For many Pearson/NES tests, all passing scores within a given state are equal, but states in which that's true are also states in which those scores are not intended to be considered in hiring. On balance, I'm fine with that.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Companion

Spouse teaches HS French
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnfiddle View Post
If you score really well on a Praxis, your report has the notation, "Your score on this test qualifies for ETS recognition of excellence." I'm not sure if that's top 5% or 2%, but not all passing scores are equal.
The ROE only applies to about 8 tests. It is supposed to be the top 15%. It seems to require that you be 4-5 points above the 75th percentile.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
redtop, you might find this ridiculously easy, but have a look at the first subtest in California's single-subject math test: http://www.cset.nesinc.com/PDFs/CS_110items.pdf
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Comrade

Long Island
The passing score on the NYS certification exams is 260 I believe? The top score is 300. It doesn't matter WHAT you score, as long as you pass. I scored within 15 points of 300 on EACH test, yet it doesn't matter that I got a near perfect score on them. All that matters is that I passed them. It doesn't make me any more qualified than someone else. Some people are natural test takers, and excel at those types of assessment. Not only that, but standardized tests are not always a valid form of assessment, nor are they the most accurate measurement of someone's knowledge, but that is a VERY long conversation

I find it interesting that YOU wouldn't want your life teaching history. Just curious, what does YOUR wife want to do?

Again you can complain about all of these restrictions and annoyances in the job hunt allllll you want, but at the end of the day, the rules will not bend for your wife....so it really isn't getting you anywhere. You're wasting your time complaining about it. Just get going and spring into action.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Companion

Spouse teaches HS French
My wife is not knowledgable about American History, having never studied it. That's all I meant. I have no doubt she'd excel at teaching Canadian history, should some school in the USA care to hire her for it.

I am most decidedly "springing into action." Has anyone reading this group ever had to do something shockingly foolish, then complained to their significant other about it?

And I am well aware that the norms and modes of what I deal with in the private sector may not "play well" in the public sector. Any more than walking onto a soccer field and saying "I can hit a golf ball 350 years" will gain me much traction.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
The passing score in NYS is 220 I think. I scored a 290-something on the Math CST and didn't get any kind of Recognition of Excellence, so I don't think NYS does that.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Mike, I don't think any Pearson tests do the Recognition of Excellence: they're likelier to give passing scores as PASSED.

Tags
advice, general, jobseeking