A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Newcomer

TN
Social studies teacher looking for an English cert.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and am looking for a bit of info. I am a new teacher (graduated dec. 2012) and am licensed to teach social studies in AL. I am looking to gain an English certification in addition to my current social studies cert. so that I may be more marketable to potential employers. How do I go about getting this certification? Do I simply need to take and pass the appropriate praxis II exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Newcomer

TN
Forgot to mention that I am currently living in TN
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The state's department of education should have a page on its Web site with information about how to go about getting additional certifications. Some states require only a test and an application; others, however, want actual coursework.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Comrade

SD
8/9 LA, World History
Heads up on this one. TN requires 0041 and AL requires 0044.

I did the same thing a year ago. It is much easier to find a position in ELA than it is in SS. In my current school the Social Studies teacher is retiring after this year. He will not be replaced. Why? At least 10/12 (not SPED) teachers are cert in Social Studies. SS is not tested area so schools do not care as much about it.

Oddly enough we will hire a SS teacher IF we can find a head boys or girls head basketball coach.

Since both TN and AL only require Praxis tests, I would also look at getting cert in sciece or math and in particalr MS math.

Tags
cert, english, social, studies, teacher