A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Companion

What do you do about students who comment back/argue anytime you redirect behavior?

In one of the co-teaching classes that I go to, I'm getting frusterated with the comments and arguing that always seems to happen just for giving a warning or if I talk to a student about correcting their behaviors. I don't argue back. I'm pretty firm about the warning and don't bring any emotion into it. I just simply tell them privately that it's their warning and to think about making a better choice. Some just think they did NOTHING wrong and always want to argue their side--like they huff and puff-- and argue where it's disruptive. I mean someone clearly was messing around with another student's locker and it was making the girl upset. I went up to the student and said--stop, this is your warning--then he has to say loudly and arguing "wow...I get a warning just for touching someone else's locker--this is bogus...this is bull".

I don't argue back, keep calm, and tell them talk to me later about it then. I know it's just something that some of them always do, probably even at home. They just want to argue their side. How can I get this to stop though? Should I give the warning--and then if the arguing happens, then the next step happens? Which I don't know what it is????? If the behavior continues, they own me time before lunch or after school to discuss it.

I don't have this issue in any of my other classes. I know it's because I don't have the same relationship with some of them and they don't know me as well as some of my other students do. They see me as "not their main teacher" since I'm in their other teacher's classroom.

Wait...after reading this...maybe I should use some comments from Love and Logic....what do you generally say so it puts the behavior choice on them and not me?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Multitudinous

I use the broken record technique.

"I'm sorry you feel that way. Please get to work. I understand what you're saying. Please get to work. Please do your work. We can talk about this after class, but now is the time for you to be doing your work. Please get to work." Ad nauseam.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Rookie

English
When they start arguing in class, I send them to the hallway. When I have the class back on task and go out to the hallway, I ask them these questions:
  • What were you supposed to be doing?
  • What were you doing?
  • What are you going to do when you return to the room?

If they don't me the right answers, I tell them to think about it and leave them in the hallway for a few more minutes.

When I return, I go over the same questions again.

When the student gives me the right answers (ex. I was supposed to be reading; I was talking to Jack; I'm going to read my book.), I tell them they're right, that I know they can do this and send them back in.

If the student continues to be defiant, I'll bring their work and a desk out into the hallway so they can at least not disrupt others. It's amazing how sometimes these kids will actually get some work done once they're in the hallway.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Rookie

English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I use this sometimes, too.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Broken record is excellent because they realize that argument isn't going to work. The eyes will roll, but the point will be made. Out in the hallway is a dicey call unless there is someone monitoring that area. Students may wander off to further mischief and mayhem.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Habitué

Pennsylvania
High School English Teacher
"Get out of my room.............now."

Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I've been having problems with this as well. I use a 3 count system, so their first warning is "1". If they begin talking back or say something "Oh, my goood, blah blah blah." I just say "2".

Generally if I do this quietly and privately they'll generally stop being disruptive. If I do it in public which I sometimes have to do, some may get embarrassed and purposely go to 3 just to show that they don't care.

When they're at 1 or 2, I sometimes give them a choice "You can choose to remain in this classroom and work quietly, or you can choose to work quietly in another classroom. Which would you prefer?"
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:

"I'm sorry you feel that way. Please get to work. I understand what you're saying. Please get to work. Please do your work. We can talk about this after class, but now is the time for you to be doing your work. Please get to work." Ad nauseam.
Me likey.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Rookie

English
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnfiddle View Post
Out in the hallway is a dicey call unless there is someone monitoring that area. Students may wander off to further mischief and mayhem.
I leave my door open and have them stand or sit where I can see them.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Groupie

Quote:

Tags
anytime, back or argue, behavior, comment, redirect, students