A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffkrr2 View Post
I've had most teachers leave me the passwords for their computers, and as I mostly work in a school (and in a town) with no cell phone service, I have no qualms about checking my email (often with emails from teachers at the same school about scheduling future days, and I've been asked by them at the end of the day why I hadn't responded to the email that they had sent -- so I make a point of checking when I can), AESOP, and even the news sites during my 30 minute lunch break.

Yes, an answer key. For one thing, I would like to know what form the teacher would like an answer to be in. In physics, for example, is the teacher looking for component vector notation or does she want a magnitude and angle? If a student wants to know if she is on the right track on a math problem, it is nice to be able to glance at the answer, see if it is right, or if it is 100x off, and give guidance that way rather than have to work the problem completely through while the rest of the class waits.
Please DFTT

To this thread though: One thing that does bother me is not having keys to outer fences. I leave for lunch every day, and it's a hassle to try and find a way out of a school (the most convenient of which isn't always through the main office doors)... sometimes, you have to wait for another teacher, you have to walk a completely opposite direction... when your destination (your car) is a fence-hop away.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Companion

Northeast
Primary Elementary Teacher
I have to agree about door keys. One school always gives me a key for recess duty. I appreciate not having to depend on other teachers to get in. Once, a teacher left a recess time on her schedule and didn't tell me no one else would be out at that time. The kids and I were all locked out of the building and had to walk all the way to he front doors to get back in.

Our schools here all use PowerSchool, so we are expected to log on to the computers as a sub. Oftentimes, the computer is essential for projector charts and smart board files.

I too can't believe the sub was in trouble for checking his phone while the kids were at a special. Aren't the regular teachers allowed to do that? They never had a problem with it at my school.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholarteacher View Post
With the sub using a cell phone while the kids were in another class and no kids were around, I'm surprised that was a problem!
I think it was more that he was in the middle of the hallway, where there are other classrooms & the office. As a teacher, if I needed to make an important call (e.g. to call the dr. whose office hours are my work hours) I'd be in my classroom. I certainly wouldn't be out in the hallway earshot of the headmaster. I also don't make casual phone calls to friends during contracted hours, which he was.

There were other concerns as well-mostly that he was really unable to be helpful or navigate through our multi-level, no elevator school. I think the cell phone was just the icing on the cake.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Aficionado

North Carolina
Middle School Math Teacher
All I really need are a set of plans for each class or subject and any materials needed for the lesson.

Seating charts are nice, but I pass around a blank sheet and make my own if one isn't provided. I agree that learning the names of the kids is the absolute BEST management tool a sub can use.

As for the login information, I've never received it nor would I give it if I were the teacher. If I REALLY need access to the computer, I can use the generic Student ID logon. Unless the the plans include material ONLY on the computer or Smartboard, then I really don't need to even turn it on.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I want (wish for) the following:
Plans:
- enough that will last for the class period (in the lock up teachers often give work that can be done in half the time and then I have to come up with other stuff
- legible: I have seens scribbles that I could barely read

Seating chart: it is nice to have. If you know who your students are, you can control them better. All you need is to mark them down on the chart and it will end the problem

And that's it
I don't expect a teacher to give me the login info for the computer - usually one password can operate other things, for example as soon as you log on a lot of things open up automatcally, such as emai, etc. Also teachers are responsible for their equipment. And I have heard enough horror stories when the students were able to talk the sub to go on youtube and show questionable videos, etc.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Devotee

US
I don't care if a password is left or not, as long as there is nothing assigned where I need the smartboard. Leaving me a technology lesson in the plans or a movie that has to be shown through a laptop and not leaving me the ability to get to it is a bit irritating. I do have occassions where part of the regular routine involves awarding stickers or points on a chart for Accelerated Reading based on scores. It can be sticky trying to explain to little kids that I need a password to get the information I need to give them their stickers. They just know the teacher has a list she gets from the computer. "Just get it there like Mrs. M."

All I want is:
*An organized lesson plan with info on where to find the tools I need
* Info on the discipline system can make or break a day
*If there is the possibilty of rain, a rainy-day schedule. In my area, the kids eat outside most of the time. In inclement weather, they all have to be moved through the cafeteria, which changes the time they go to lunch.
*Extra work for fast finishers is nice. Not mandatory, as I've gotten better at filling time, but it's always better if there is something to keep students busy.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Aficionado

New Brunswick, Canada
4th Grade Teacher
We're not allowed to leave a username and password. Most subs here have their own that they can get from the district.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
I wish they gave us sub logins. They give us rosters at the office and we have to have students deliver them for each period. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a problem at some schools/in some classrooms.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I don't give out my password for my computer either. Everything is monitored in my district and I just wouldn't take the risk. We're not allowed to check personal e-mails on school computers so I wouldn't expect the sub to be allowed either. Of course that means I also don't leave work that requires hooking the computer up. I print out an attendance list and have the sub send it to the office with a kid so they don't need access to our online program. We are 100% free lunch so there's no lunch count or anything like that they need to do.

I honestly haven't thought to leave an answer key. After reading some of the responses I'm not sure it's a good idea. I figure on a 3rd grade level the sub should be able to figure out the correct answer anyway, and I wouldn't want her to think that by leaving the key I expected her to grade the work.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I think leaving the answer key is always a good idea. You can always let the sub know that you don't expect the work to be graded. In lower grades it's probably not a big deal, anyone should know that level of math, or anything else, but having the answers does make things easier.

In higher grades it's more important, not necessarily because we can't figure things out, but it cuts down on work.
For example this past week I had 2 class periods pf Personal Development (1 period repeated). It was about buying a car, and one day it was about figuring out monthly payments, total cost, with different interest rates, different amounts, length of loans, etc.
It was a very simple calculation (students used calculators), but it was a total of 32 answers, that also included other calculations. I did about 10 with the students, then let them work alone/together and I walked around. When a student asked if one of his answer was correct, I couldn't just look it up, I had to figure it out with the calculator. It only took me 20 seconds or so, but that was 20 seconds having me focus on one student, and not everyone else. These guys (in the lock up) will take advantage of a 10 second distraction)

I didn't have any problems, but I could have on a different day.

Tags
wishlist